Pictures from our latest camping adventure

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
We just got back from our latest camping adventure. It was our largest group so far with about 50 people coming in and out over the course of our stay there.

Our family was the first there so we were able to get our usual preferred spot. It was blazing hot and the flies were out in force during the day.

My baby girl with a bushcrafty snack while dad set up the tent.

Pictures-200706Hoomaluhia008.jpg

The kids sure love Auntie Keiko's guitar (and her singing). Almost as much as they like their chocolately treats.

Pictures-200706Hoomaluhia013.jpg

It was my wife's best friend's birthday. So I made a chocolate chip birthday bannock for her with dark chocolate frosting. The trick is to blow out and take out the candles fast before the hot bannock melts them.

Pictures-200706Hoomaluhia018.jpg

Did I mention it was freakin' hot? Well the kids were smart enough to make an improvised shelter.

Pictures-200706Hoomaluhia044.jpg

I did title this with the word adventure.

We had fishing, hiking and wild animal encounters. Everyone survived. I wish we had more pictures. I will post some more when I get them. And no ex-special forces guy came around this time.

Late the first night, between 11 and midnight, the security guard came into our camp and spoke with us since we were up late. He asked if we were having any trouble with the wild pigs. We hadn't seen any, which was strange. We normally see them. Anyway, he said that campers have been having trouble with them, so to be careful, especially coming out of our tents at night.

I didn't think anything of it until the next night, when we had our little run ins. When we were putting our kids to sleep, I heard one of the dads making lots of noise shooing off a pig. After the kids were asleep, some of the adults were chatting around the campfire and one of the moms saw a pig near one of our tents. So the dads went to investigate with the moms following. There was a decent size pig of about 150-200 pounds. It looked feral and meaner and scarier looking than the other pigs I have seen there in the past.

We shoo'd it off, but it took a bit of effort as it really didn't want to go. After it walked away, we cleaned up around our campsite thinking that the food and trash we had in the area was attracting it. We usually do this after we get our kids to sleep anyway. As I am returning from taking the trash out, who do I run into but Mr. Pig. As I check on him on my way back, I find him following me and closing. So I start to walk backwards slowly. He keeps coming so I stop. He keeps coming to within 3-5 feet of me. I am thinking if he attacks me, I am dead! As we have our little face-off stare down, I come to realize that my Surefire G2 shining point blank into his eyes did not deter him from coming towards me, like I would have thought it would. It was obviously used to having lights shined at it.

Remember that the shouting and noise did little to chase it away earlier, I did a stupid thing. I stomped my foot and started at it while waving my arms. I know, STUPID! But I really didn't want it to follow me back into camp. Funny thing is the pig started, did a quick spin and ran off down the hill. It did that and covered about 30-40 yards in what seemed to me like a second. I was surprised and thankful. That pig was quick and would have done some damage to me if it attacked instead of ran off.

The pig & I had our face-off on this path. We were both on the bend. I was on the inner edge and it was on the outer edge. That's how close we were.

Pictures-200706Hoomaluhia017.jpg

Later, the pig did return. But it didn't come into our camp. It ran past and went into our neighbors' camps instead.

I was saddened to discover later from the security guy that they were planning on trapping and killing some of the pigs there. I hope someone gets to eat them (pigs, not security guys), otherwise it would be a waste. They could have told us sooner and we could have had fresh bacon. ;) They do not usually allow hunting there.

I also noticed that the duck population looked to be a small fraction of its former size. I wonder if they culled the duck population too. Or if pigs eat ducks. Anyone know? hmmm. I could have gone for some fresh duck too.

The fish population in the lake seemed as dense and robust as ever though. Probably due to their catch and release rules.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. I will post more pictures when I get them.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Great pictures and words as always Hanzo - your place is so lovely the food comes to the fire on its own :D

Thanks mate

Red

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
I am in Hawaii. And we family camp at Ho'omaluhia. Fires are allowed, but hunting is not. I will post a camp fire picture later after the basketball game.

While the food does come to the fire, we have to bring it there.

There are three pigs in our immediate area that I am aware of. A papa pig, a mama pig and a baby pig that is probably about 3-6 months old. The baby is a tiny succulent guy probably weighing in at about 20 pounds. The mama is about 75-100 pounds and the papa, which is the one that tried to stare me down, is about 150-200 pounds. I am sure there are more pigs there than those three.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
I think it is a beautiful area and the pigs are part of it. And we did have a great time, as usual there. We will be back there in July.

I have been trying to get the families to try other places too. There is a really nice beach camping spot with a small island offshore. The island has a sheltered cove that is great for snorkeling and spear fishing. I told my wife that the last time I went there, before we were married, there was a 17 foot tiger shark between the beach and the island. She immediately ruled that spot out as well as other beach spots. That is too bad.

There is another nice spot deep in the mountains. But the moms voted on familiarity to something new. I will just have to keep working them to expand their horizons.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE