On the hunt for a new winter Jacket/coat.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 18, 2016
scotland
Hi guys and gals. I am new to the forum and i am looking for opinions on a new winter jacket for myself.

The jacket i am looking to buy is mostly for when i am out and about the town and at the football. As i live in Scotland it does get a bit cold in the winter but nothing too major. We do get alot of rain though so i will need something that can handle the odd downpour now and again.

I have been recently been looking at Fjall Raven jackets, they do seem expensive but they seem to have stayed the test of time so to speak and for me that surely is a good thing. I quite like to wear something different to the current trend on the street and all i see is Canada Goose and bloody Superdry on the streets so i am looking for something a bit off the trend.

As i understand it they are no longer made in Europe and are manufactured in China. Has the quality went south since they changed?

I have also read that the G-1000 they use is not completely waterproof apart from their Hydratic G-1000 material but by waxing the garment helps with the waterproofing qualities and reduces the breath ability of the garment.

I have my eye on 3-4 different models which are the :-
Skogsö Padded Jacket
Greenland Winter Jacket/Parka
Yupik Parka
Montt 3 in 1 Hydratic Jacket

The last two are meant to have the Hydratic material. Is this material any better than the G-1000 on the other two?

Can anyone help with sizes on these jackets as well. i have read that they are quite big in size and i should order a size down, is this correct?

I have scoured the internet trying to find reviews for these jackets but have had no joy. Has any members here had any experience with them?

Sorry for all of the questions. I would be most greatful for any feedback on Fjall Raven gear or anything else out there that would be a good winter jacket.

Cheers
Stu

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
In Vancouver, BC, on Granville Island, there's a short row of ships' chandler businesses.
Much to my surprise, they sell rain coats in sizes such as 3X and 4X large.
The intention is a rain coat that can be put on over whatever other coat you need to wear for the cold.
I bought one. Even has wrist seals which really do work. Expensive, but I got what I wanted.
Well, it's 20+ years old now, the rubberized wrist fabric is cracked but the rest of it is fine.

So there's a suggestion = buy the coat for cold & wind. Buy a rain shell for the times you need it.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
According to a couple of Swedish websites there has been some quality issues the last years with Fjällräven clothing.
But I do not know if there is any difference between the old Swedish made clothes and todays Asian made. In the old, pre internet days you went back to the store if there was an issue, had it fixed and was happy about the service. Today you go back to the shop, have it fixed then post on the net what crappy quality the stuff is.

G1000 is not 100% waterproof, but using the Grönlands vax about as water protective as a Barbour.
Note - protective.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi Stu and welcome.
i am a bit of a fjallraven nut, and have way more of their products than is probably good for me (or my bank account). But i really do love their products, as they fit me very well and are perfectly practical for what i use them for.
I have both regular G1000 gear and Hydratic (G1000 shells with Hydratic drop liners). You are right, the g1000 on its own is not waterproof but i treat mine with a mixture of homemade wax (paraffin and bees wax) and also Nikwax spray wax (as it is eaier to apply). My jackets are pretty much water tight now after several treatments, my trousers (which get washed more often) are OK in light rain, but i treat the knees and seat a lot more for keeling and sitting.
i have heard about the quality issues in recent years, but i have yet to have any issues with any of my kit, it still seems to be as well made as my original forester trousers which i had for almost 15 years.
As for expense, if you look at all similar brands such as Lundhags, Harkila, Aclima, Bergans etc, they all have a similar price range. I guess you are paying for a label but whats new.
Hope it helps

Baggins

Dec 18, 2016
scotland
Thanks for the replies.

I am getting closer by the minute to pulling the trigger on the Skogso padded jacket or the Yupik jacket.
The Skogso is not Hydratic but i can apply wax to it if need be.
The Yupik may be too warm for the climate in Scotland tbh. I have a North Face McMurdo jacket i bought a few years ago and it is very well insulated for my climate. It is almost too well insulated if i am honest. So i am not sure if the Yupik would be the same.

I would love to be able to try some of these jackets on in a store but there doesn't seem to be any within a 100 mile radius to me.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
heehee, yup, the Yupik will be too warm. i have a Kyle parka and, as much as i love it, i rarely get to wear it here. was bought for a trip to the arctic circle and was fantastic, but just too warm for regular Uk weather. My good lady just bought a Singi winter jacket and that was great for a trip to Braemar last week (it got down to -12) and she loved it.
Where in Scotland are you? there are some FR suppliers in Edinbourgh, and several in the Lake district and northern Cumbria.
As a guide for size, i am 5'10", 34" waist, and a 40"chest. I take a large in all shirts and Jackets and they fit me very well. Hope that helps.

Dec 18, 2016
scotland
I am from Fife, Scotland mate.

I have phoned a few stores over the last couple of days but none of them stocked the jackets i wanted.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Nordic Outdoor in Edinbourgh aren't too far from you, even if they don't stock the jacket you want, i have found with FR stuff, if one style fits you, the others will to.
I know that it is an expensive gamble to take to order online without trying first. so if you can get to try one first, it really will put your mind at rest.

Dec 18, 2016
scotland
Cheers mate.

I have pulled the trigger on a Fall Raven Greenland winter jacket. Looks to be a decent deal reduced from £240 to £150.

I am usually a size Large in jackets so I have ordered the same size. I will see how it fits and what the quality is like when I get it in a couple of days.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Dec 18, 2016
scotland
So i received my new blue Fjallravan Greenland winter jacket just before Christmas and i have been wearing it through these cold windy days. I am very happy with the fit and quality of the jacket. I haven't (surprisingly) had the chance to see how it fairs with the rain yet but it has been great so far.

Since i was enjoying the jacket so much i have also purchased a Fjallraven Skogso jacket in Grey in the sales. Picked it up for £135 and it is also a very nice jacket. A little bit of a lighter jacket as it has no lining but it keeps the wind out well and the fit on these jackets are perfect for me tbh. I can definitely see myself buying more garments from this brand again.

I will be looking to buy some wax for these jackets shortly and i am not sure if i should go for the Fjallraven wax or another brand to apply to them. Are there any better brands out there than the Greenland wax?

Regards
Stu

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
The greenland wax is good stuff, i also supplement it with the Nikwax spray wax. i have started making my own wax as well now, just need some bees wax and paraffin wax pellets (all cheap on amazon), and it works out a lot cheaper than buying the FR brand stuff. I'm sure there is a post with the method on here somewhere.
Heehee, sorry you seem to have developed substance abuse problem, same happened to my good lady when i introduced here to the brand (5 Jackets, 8 bags 2 trousers and counting, lol)

Dec 18, 2016
scotland
I will have a look into the nikwax spray wax.

I may just give the Greenland jacket an extra coating first as I don't think that needs to breath as much with it being lined before I give the Skogso one a coating.

Cheers again for the advice.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have a Carhartt winter coat, very windproof heavy canvas shell, blanket lining, and good to about -20C. Below that, I switch to my Eddie Bauer down parka.
Anyway, I got a new Carhartt winter coat ($200.00CDN) for Christmas. The old one really does look shabby for 15-20 winters.

Have never seen Nikwax, I would like to learn more. While I have a top quality rain coat that I can wear over the Carhartts,
something to make the existing coats at least shower-proof would be nice.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
NikWax products are sold by a Premier Distributor (greater stock variety) = Wholesale Sports, in the city of Prince George. Convenient.
Thank you for the advisement.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
G1000 polycotton is great in windy and sub zero weather where it's not wet(long term outdoors I mean, not dog walking or a few hrs)

I love my g1000 trousers. Waxed up they repel water well but they are noticeably warmer and don't breath at all when waxed 2-3 times and ironed in.

The main benifit I find with polycotton or g1000 is it drys fast in a light wind / near a fire. And I don't mind kneeling or pushing through scrub. I would with my hillwalking shell gear.

If you do wax your greenland parka be prepared for it to get a "weathered" look. I waxed up my telemark jacket 3-4 times on the shoulder and hood and lightly on arms. It gets a very vintage look after a few weeks.

Good purchases. Fjallraven make nice products.

Singi (sarek) jacket is a nice one too.

But alas for wet,cold, windy scotland in winter my ridge line monsoon and grizzly anorak under it get used more.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
G1000 polycotton is great in windy and sub zero weather where it's not wet(long term outdoors I mean, not dog walking or a few hrs)

I love my g1000 trousers. Waxed up they repel water well but they are noticeably warmer and don't breath at all when waxed 2-3 times and ironed in.

The main benifit I find with polycotton or g1000 is it drys fast in a light wind / near a fire. And I don't mind kneeling or pushing through scrub. I would with my hillwalking shell gear.

If you do wax your greenland parka be prepared for it to get a "weathered" look. I waxed up my telemark jacket 3-4 times on the shoulder and hood and lightly on arms. It gets a very vintage look after a few weeks.

Good purchases. Fjallraven make nice products.

Singi (sarek) jacket is a nice one too.

But alas for wet,cold, windy scotland in winter my ridge line monsoon and grizzly anorak under it get used more.

just ben trolling through some old posts and I’ve got to agree with this fjallraven are great especially the trousers but for dry sub zero temperatures in this country find them the same as a Barbour the “COATS” are not good in the very wet long term or on a 3 to 4 day hillwalk trip in the Lake District
But they are expensive and still popular? ( The coats talking only about)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE