Now I'm Hungry!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A local restaurant/country store (family owned and NOT a chain) back in my home town (a village actually) just posted this pic of a new menu item on their FB page and it's got my mouth watering. It's fried gator tail Po-Boy with chips:

12063660_965972640110420_4989390009376319234_n.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You ate a Swamp Dragon ?? In batter ?

:D

Why is it called a Po-Boy ?

M….who's having chips for tea, with braised tofu, broccoli, carrots and peas and sweet chilli sauce.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You ate a Swamp Dragon ?? In batter ?

:D

Why is it called a Po-Boy ?

M….who's having chips for tea, with braised tofu, broccoli, carrots and peas and sweet chilli sauce.

Shamelessly lifted from Wiki

"[h=2]Origin of the term[edit][/h]In the late 1800s fried oyster sandwiches on French loaves were known in New Orleans and San Francisco as "oyster loaves", a term still in use. A sandwich containing both fried shrimp and fried oysters is often called a "peacemaker" or "La Mediatrice".[SUP][4][/SUP]
There are countless stories as to the origin of the term "po' boy". A popular local theory claims that "po' boy", as specifically referring to a type of sandwich, was coined in a New Orleans restaurant owned by Benny and Clovis Martin (originally from Raceland, Louisiana), former streetcar conductors.[SUP][5][/SUP] In 1929, during a four-month strike against the streetcar company, the Martin brothers served their former colleagues free sandwiches.[SUP][5][/SUP] The Martins' restaurant workers jokingly referred to the strikers as "poor boys", and soon the sandwiches themselves took on the name.[SUP][5][/SUP] In Louisiana dialect, this is naturally shortened to "po' boy."[SUP][5]"[/SUP]

"

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's astonishing the things we learn :D

Between fried alligator tails and fried oyster sannies, British fish and chips must seem kind of boring ?
Himself likes the occasional black pudding or haggis supper though. I suppose in some quarters those are considered just as strange :dunno:

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE