New waxed canvas and leather shoulder bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
I have been playing about with this for a few weeks. I was looking for some nice fabric to wax when I found this bag in a high street store.

I removed the flap and used that material to add a zip top to the bag

Then replaced any PU leather bits and the flap with real leather. Just need to add some keepers.

The only issue is where any leather touches the material it soaks up what ever they have used to wax the bag with, as you can see in the 2nd to last picture.

I will leave it a week or two to see if it dries out, if not I have some Neats Foot oil which I can darken all the leather with. I tested the oil on an old wallet and I think it will work, the right hand side on the last picture has been oiled. The other option is to line the leather flap as I do like the colour

Untitled by Leaky5, on Flickr

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Thats very good i like it a lot. It would look fantastic with a leather base a couple of inches high .to protect the bottom.

( would you care to pm me which retailer you got it from ? )

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
I have now lined it with a double layer of canvas, with a piece of scrap waterproof polyester between the layers of canvas.
This also hides the flesh side of the leather which I had previous left and the added bonus of a semi concealed paper work pocket.
I just need to hammer down the edge stitches and I have just ordered some leather for the strap.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE