New Primitive Fishing Video

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Made a new fishing video if anyone wants to have a look. I'm demonstrating very primitive fishing techniques for fishing spawning brown trout.

[video=youtube;aaPX3Adtjzs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaPX3Adtjzs[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Thank you Torjus,

That was great, (reminded me of trout tickling as a child).

You seem to have a beautifully productive small stream there, I doubt may in Scotland would produce s much fish from such a short stretch these days.

How do you generally eat your fish, butterflied and roasted over the fire or in the embers?

Great video and very well presented, I really enjoyed it.

GB.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Thanks for the nice words Goatboy.

Spawning trout aren't terribly good tasting. I usually take out the roe and fry that up. The fish itself I smoke-dry in the lodge and use instead of bread for breakfast during the rest of the year. If I do cook them fresh I usually either fry them in some kind of animal fat or roast them on rocks along the fire. I rarely eat them like this if I'm not very hungry. Bigger fish (around 1kg) can still be quite good. Those I butterfly as you mention and roast over coals.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Very cool video, I've never seen anyone fish that way before. Thanks for making it.:)
I wish we still had as much trout in the Netherlands.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
That was brilliant! Thanks for sharing! :)
I don't fish as much as I'd like but I'm gonna have to try going primitive soon ;).

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Thanks for the nice words Goatboy.

Spawning trout aren't terribly good tasting. I usually take out the roe and fry that up. The fish itself I smoke-dry in the lodge and use instead of bread for breakfast during the rest of the year. If I do cook them fresh I usually either fry them in some kind of animal fat or roast them on rocks along the fire. I rarely eat them like this if I'm not very hungry. Bigger fish (around 1kg) can still be quite good. Those I butterfly as you mention and roast over coals.

I must admit that fresh trout quickly fried in some bacon fat is a real tasty treat.

We're quite lucky compared to our neighbours in England as some of our fishing laws seem easier. There was a great stream by my old farm and the next farm grew pick your own asparagus, meant you could have a brilliantly tasty meal and all so fresh that it couldn't be beaten especially with some fresh eggs from the chickens. I'm hungry now.

Good luck with finding a new camera, (other thread), I don't know much bar staying away from the handy hero type. They were awful for faults when we sold them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE