Need Help with RM wild-food-list

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 28, 2007
Germany
Hi folks,

I'm new in this forum and I could need your help. The last weeks I had the delight to look Ray Mear´s new season 'Wild Food". I found some information about this here, but not my special, a bit weird question.

This season is (of course :) ) full of names of plants. So far, so good, but this is not easy, if your english is not the best. To know, which plants are meant I made a list of all names, i could understand. And this was r e a l l y hard work, never because Mr. Mears or Mr. Hillman (no, never!) would mumbling, but only because my english is so lousy. Some plant-names are not to find or understandable for me. Maybe someone could be a kind helper and check if I´m right or wrong?

For translation into german, I had to found the right botanical synonym in latin (in brackets). So here is my incomplete list:

Wild Food s01e01:

not researched yet

Wild Food s01e02: Coasts

Seacale (Crambe maritima) - Küsten-Meerkohl
rock samphire (Crithmum maritimum) - Meerfenchel
sea purslane/sea pickle (Atriplex portulacoides) - Strand-Salzmelde
(?) seabeet (Beta maritima) - Wild-Bete/See-Mangold
(?) sea radish (Raphanus maritimus) - Strand-Rettich
Sea Buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides) - Sanddorn
sea clubrush (Scirpus maritimus) - Strandbinse/Strandsimse
Ergot (Claviceps purpurea etc.) Mutterkorn/Bockshorn
Limpet (Patella vulgata) - Napfschnecke
Razor Shell (Ensis arcuatus) - Scheidenmuschel
horse's hoof fungus/Tinder Fungus (Polyporus fomentarius) - Zunderpilz
King Alfred's cake (Daldinia concentrica) - Holzkohlenpilz

Wild Food s01e03: Rivers, Lakes, Wetland

Greater Reedmace (Typha latifolia) - Breitblättriger Rohrkolben
stinging nettle (Urtica dioica) - Brennessel(triebe)
White Water-lily (Nymphaea alba) - Weiße Seerose
yellow waterlily (Nuphar lutea) - Gelbe Teichrose, Gelbe Teichmummel
Water Hemlock/Cowbane (Cicuta virosa) - Wasserschierling
verwechselbar mit
(Angelica archangelica/Angelica palustris) - Angelika (Engelwurz)
Iris (Iris) - Schwertlilie
Goosegrass (Galium aparine) - Kletten-Labkraut/Klebkraut
lady's smock (Cardamine pratensis) - Wiesen-Schaumkraut/Wiesenkresse
???
???
chickweed (Stellaria media) - Vogelmiere
lesser Celandine (Ranunculus ficaria) - Scharbockskraut
nicht verwechseln mit
greater Celandine (Chelidonium majus) - Schöllkraut
Wild Garlic (Allium ursinum) - Bärlauch
Salad Burnet (Sanguisorba minor) - Kleiner Wiesenknopf
Thyme (Thymus) - Thymian
???

Wild Food s01e04: Hunting

???...sedge

Wild Food s01e05: Woodland

sallow/Goat Willow (Salix caprea) - Sal-Weide (Salweide)
Oak (Quercus) - Eiche
Pine (Pinus) ) - Kiefer
Birch (Betula) - Birke
Beech (Fagus) - Buche
???
Hazel (Corylus) - Hasel
Lime (Tilia) - Linde
(Sweet) Chestnut (Castanea) - (Edel-)Kastanie
crab apple (Pyrus malus) - Holzapfel
??? aaaaahhhhrg! gelee-beeren
penny bun (Boletus edulis) - Steinpilz
Devil's bolete/Satan's mushroom (Boletus satanas) - Satansröhrling/Satanspilz
fly agaric/Fly Amanita - Fliegenpilz
Der Fliegenpilz (Amanita muscaria) - Fliegenpilz
Panther cap (Amanita pantherina) - Pantherpilz
Death Cap (Amanita phalloides) - Grüner Knollenblätterpilz
psathyrella
Hazelnut
Wild Service Tree/Chequer Tree/Checker Tree (Sorbus torminalis) - Elsbeere
Common Bluebell (Hyacinthoides non-scripta) - Hasenglöckchen
???
Paris quadrifolia - Vierblättrige Einbeere
Deadly nightshade/Belladonna (Atropa belladonna) - Schwarze Tollkirsche
Black Bryony (Tamus communis) - Gemeiner Schmerwurz
(Brown) Trout ((Salmo trutta fario) - Bachforelle
Eel (Anguilliformes) - Aal
Crayfish (Astacus) - Flusskrebs
Dogwood (Cornus) - Hartriegel/Hornstrauch
Rhubarb (Rheum rhabarbarum) - Rhabarber
Spinach (Spinacia oleracea) - Spinat
Wild pork

Best regards,
iZen

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Hi there... Are you trying to make sure the plant names you have are correct or are you trying to find the english, german or latin names for the plants. I do not know German, so I could not say if you are correct or not.
Also, are you getting the plant names from the TV series (you mention Ray or Gorden muttering). Did you know there is a Wild Food book they have brought out to accompany the TV series http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wild-Food-R...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1198863533&sr=8-1 The book gives the latin names, so you should be able to find the name in your language..

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have the RM book for the series and a herbal( Schauenburg/Paris) which kindly provides both german and french.
So i can this type of thing;

Arum maculatum [cuckoo pint] Arumstab, eselshor, geflecker aron
Plantago major [Greater plantain] grosser wegerich, breitblattriger wegerich
Taraxacum officinle [Dandelion] lowenzahn, kuhblume.

It will take me a while to cross-referance, i will do more later.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
My wife has had a quick look through your list, we are at my parents so cannot spend too long on it but most of your list seems to be correct. The latin name is what will help you out most, you will be able to find the various names in different languages from the latin name.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
iZen - hi :)

I've checked just one for you - using Wikipedia - and it's correct so I'm assuming
everything else is too :bandit:

For example if you put "Ranunculus ficaria" into the right format to see the page in
English on wikipedia it's http://[B]en[/B].wikipedia.org/wiki/ranunculus_ficaria and this tells
you that it is lesser celandine (as you have it). If you replace the EN (english) with
DE (deutsch) you get http://[B]de[/B].wikipedia.org/wiki/ranunculus_ficaria which tells you
it's Scharbockskraut, again as you have it.

This might be helpful for double checking.
Or it might be a horrible, horrible waste of time :D

Dec 28, 2007
Germany
Hi folks and thank you very much for your answeres!

Yes thats right, my question is not for translation. More, if I catched the the right english names for the plants mentioned in the series.

The Latin and german names should be right, if the english name would be correct. With thanks to Wikipedia it is easier to translate in this way.

Understanding the right names only from speech was a quite funny thing: "Hm, what did he said? Limpit or Limbpit, or Limpid, or Limbit or...ahhhrg damned, the diction is LIMPED!" or "Hmmm, what for God´s sake is Sellandine...?" And so on. :)

Sometimes I had to guess, sometimes I will failed for sure (and sometimes no chance, these are the "???" in the list.

If someone could check this "???" and the right english plant-names of the other with the book (or by looking an episode) would be brilliant!

And thanks for the amazon-link to the book. Whow, it´s reduced less than 10 pounds in UK. Amazon germany wants still roundabout 25 pounds for it. So I have to wait a while...

And, (hi Jodie) No, not a horrible, horrible waste of time. Only once horrible :) :) Yees, a bit weird, but In fact a really funny way to spend an evening. Like jigsaw puzzle - I did this last time with the age of six (with an broken arm in hospital)
translanguage-botanical-sherlok-holmes

Greets and thanks,
iZen

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
If someone could check this "???" and the right english plant-names of the other with the book (or by looking an episode) would be brilliant!

Aha - I see we shall have to sit down and watch them again with a print out of your list
beside us and tick them off or add them in :)

Sort of like a Wild Food drinking game :eek:

Seacale is usually spelled sea kale I think... hazelnut is Corylus avellana... but
you seem to have made an extremely good job of getting all the plants in there!!

I'm at my parents' so don't have my DVD copy with me but Woodland is on Channel
Dave tomorrow at 7am, VIDEO Plus+: 1442875 if anyone wants to try that one.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I watched Woodland this morning but I missed the first couple of minutes...

crab apple (Pyrus malus) - Holzapfel
??? aaaaahhhhrg! gelee-beeren
penny bun (Boletus edulis) - Steinpilz

Might have missed the crab apple, and the bit before the penny bun mushrooms was
about making baskets using rushes, straws, grasses and something called Orkney
straw and sisal string (I think I heard something like 'junicus' or 'juricus' - can't read
my own hand writing and it was 7 in the morning so I was half asleep :D).

There was something about a summer boletus as well as the penny bun so I'm thinking
they're not the same thing - two types of mushroom in the pan with tomatoes etc.

Common Bluebell (Hyacinthoides non-scripta) - Hasenglöckchen
???
Paris quadrifolia - Vierblättrige Einbeere

After bluebells it was wood anemones (according to Wikipedia it's a common name
for several species but typically in Europe it would be Anemone nemorosa) then it was
foxgloves (Digitalis purpurea) and Herb Paris (Paris quadrifolia).

I thought the basting brush (made of hazel) was a bit cool :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Interestingly enough, the Wild Food DVD has subtitles, and they are word for word. Might be worth getting the DVD and then it will make your life easier and you can watch them whenever you like!

Dec 28, 2007
Germany
Hi everbody,

at first Im very sorry for leaving this thread for so many days and a very very warm thank to jodie for early-bird-wathing to help me. you are my heroine! :)

the reason, for not answering is that I had to organise my New Years Eve Hike to the Harz-mountains. as an apology here two pictures from my wintertour two years ago:

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/8786/harzleistenklippeneisenan4.jpg

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/8944/harzbrockenbahmeisenni2.jpg

I wish all of you a nice new year 2008 and will continue this list as soon as i'll be back on january the 7th.

Greets,

iZen

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Wild Food s01e03: Rivers, Lakes, Wetland

Greater Reedmace (Typha latifolia) - Breitblättriger Rohrkolben
Ray also mentions its popular name of cat-tails

Water Hemlock/Cowbane (Cicuta virosa) - Wasserschierling
I think Ray is using 'dead hemlock stems' for the fire and 'giant water dock' (possibly Rumex hypolapathum) to provide a covering for the lily seeds (which have been processed by grinding) while cooking.

lady's smock (Cardamine pratensis) - Wiesen-Schaumkraut/Wiesenkresse
Dog rose - Rosa canina
Blackthorn - Prunus spinosa - Gordon mentions that their flavour (of cyanide) is stronger than hawthorn (assume Crataegus monogyna)

chickweed (Stellaria media) - Vogelmiere
Wood chickweed is specifically mentioned - though I don't know enough about chickweeds to say if yours is the right one or not.

lesser Celandine (Ranunculus ficaria) - Scharbockskraut
nicht verwechseln mit
greater Celandine (Chelidonium majus) - Schöllkraut

I think just 'celandine' was mentioned and the accompanying animation was labelled ranunculus ficaria, so I'd go for the lesser of two celandines :)

Wild Garlic (Allium ursinum) - Bärlauch - these are also known as ramsons
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramsons
I have come across a patch of these in woodland and been stunned by the lovely smell of garlic-y onion coming from them

Salad Burnet (Sanguisorba minor) - Kleiner Wiesenknopf
Thyme (Thymus) - Thymian

false acacia - which seems to be Robinia pseudoacacia

This could be useful - Wikipedia's list of vascular plants of Britain and Ireland
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_vascular_plants_of_Britain_and_Ireland_3

Also I googled Linda Lemieux who was the lovely lady talking about basket making in the
Woodland episode and apparently she is doing a two day course in May, near Devon.
http://davebuddknives.homestead.com/courses.html

Dave Budd (a member here) also runs loads of interesting courses himself:
http://davebuddknives.homestead.com/aboutme.html

Jo

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Did you try eating any of the Ramsons Jodie? I made some up into a garlicy mayonaise last year! It didn't last long as it was delicious! The bulbs are nice and crunchy raw, but you have to know the patch as I have found that a patch can differ in strength from one side to the other. Not sure why that would be, but I like the strong stuff. Last year, I had a few bulbs that actually felt like they were burning my mouth, but in a nice way!

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Alas no, the woodland was part of the conservation area in Kew gardens and I think they
might not like me unearthing anything. They are so pretty though.

It was when I was at the Woodland Wonders event and they had set up one of those zip
lines through a clearing in the trees and children were whizzing past above everyone's
heads and it had recently been raining VERY heavily. Quite a surreal experience.

I should think ramsons must be one of the easiest things to identify - even by pong alone :)

I've got two suggestions for why there might be a variation in strength, but they might be
wrong. One is that the concentration of stinky chemicals depends on the local soil
concentrations of some required ingredient - so sort of passive. The other is that the
plants in one area are likely to suffer more than others from predation or annoyance and
are producing more of the chemicals as protection. There might be another reason that
I've not thought of though - some of the plants might even be a bit better at making those
chemicals than their neighbours... :cool:

But usually such chemicals are there for attracting something or defending from
something so I suppose it's helpful to keep in mind what the plant is 'trying to do'.

It would be nice if they're trying to be made into garlic mayo!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
You can just pop off a few of the flowring heads and crunch on them, the beauty of ramsons is the whole plant can be eaten. Jack by the hedge is another good one, it looks like a hairless stinging nettle for want of a better description. The leaf isn't quite as serrated, but pick off a few of the tender leafs and put them in a cheese and ham sarnie. Brilliant!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE