Need a bit help please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
ok here goes, what are, say the most 6 common trees used for bushcraft, the 6 most useful, that can be used one or more perposes??
And what can they be used for, must be native to the UK and very common,

TIA

T

Tekeeler

Nice question. I would say in no particular order:

Birch for bark for bowls etc and also fine outer bark for tinder.

Sweet Chestnut for a robust, easy to carve and split wood. Also for food. also for the pleasure of working with it. (Its not native but I reckon its been here long enough to count.)

Oak for slow burning and structures. Acorns for coffee.

Spruce species for roots.

Scots Pine for the various things you can do with it.

My personal favourite: Ash for carving and it is THE best burning wood.

PS I don't like sycamore. It annoys me. It's only plus point is that squirrels will strip it before other trees. :twak:

Shadow Walker

Oct 15, 2005
Oxford
Birch – For its bark, both as tinder and its syrup.

Oak – For the coffee from its corns, its slow burning fuel and its medical values.

Willow – Its medical values.

Spruce / Pine ect – It’s a fantastic wood to work with, and it provides so much from so little.

Ash – For its heat when burning.

Beech – Tar from burning its wood without air and the oil from its nuts.

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
Birch - the ultimate bushcraft tree:cool:
Leaves - soap
Small branches - pot hangers, small carving projects, besom brooms, etc
Bark - tinder, containers
Wood - larger carving projects,
Sap - wine

Hazel - great for camp craft type activities
Branches and wood can be used for hundreds of things such as pot hangers, withies, shelter building, bowsaw handles, numerous carving projects the list could go on.
And you can eat the hazelnuts as well - yum yum :approve:

Oak
Pine
Elder
Willow

I will add the uses later when I have looked them all up :Thinkingo

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
exellent replies thanks alot, with this kind of info, i can just research the most common six trees, and learn to identifiy just those for now, makes things a bit easier. Keep them coming

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Laurence Dell said:
Birch - the ultimate bushcraft tree:cool:
Leaves - soap
Small branches - pot hangers, small carving projects, besom brooms, etc
Bark - tinder, containers
Wood - larger carving projects,
Sap - wine

Hazel - great for camp craft type activities
Branches and wood can be used for hundreds of things such as pot hangers, withies, shelter building, bowsaw handles, numerous carving projects the list could go on.
And you can eat the hazelnuts as well - yum yum :approve:

Oak
Pine
Elder
Willow

I will add the uses later when I have looked them all up :Thinkingo

Lol...If I'd not seen your post Mate I'd have written pretty much the same thing exactly....my only change would be Ash for Elder but apart from that I'm with you 100%.

Birch tree's rock in bushcraft! :D

Cheers,

Bam. :)

Shadow Walker

Oct 15, 2005
Oxford
Holly – llex aquifolium

The young leaves can be used to for a number of medical applications. An infusion of 2 teaspoons per cup of water or a decoction of 1 teaspoon per cup of water, boil for 5-8 minutes. Take 2-3 times a day against the common cold, influenza, bronchitis, rheumatism and arthritis.

Jason

JoshG

Nomad
Sep 23, 2005
Stockton-on-tees, England.
Tekeeler said:
Nice question. I would say in no particular order:

Birch for bark for bowls etc and also fine outer bark for tinder.

Sweet Chestnut for a robust, easy to carve and split wood. Also for food. also for the pleasure of working with it. (Its not native but I reckon its been here long enough to count.)

Oak for slow burning and structures. Acorns for coffee.

Spruce species for roots.

Scots Pine for the various things you can do with it.

My personal favourite: Ash for carving and it is THE best burning wood.

PS I don't like sycamore. It annoys me. It's only plus point is that squirrels will strip it before other trees. :twak:

Could you add a few things that can be done with scots pine? Just for newbies like me? :) I'm guessing one of the nice things with scots pine would be the resin?

Shadow Walker

Oct 15, 2005
Oxford
JoshG said:
Could you add a few things that can be done with scots pine? Just for newbies like me? :) I'm guessing one of the nice things with scots pine would be the resin?

Try this then:

Scot’s Pine

Inner bark - dried and ground into a powder and used in making bread. It is often mixed with oatmeal. A famine food, it is only used when all else fails.
A vanillin flavouring is obtained as a by-product of other resins that are released from the pulpwood.

Scot's pine has quite a wide range of medicinal uses, being valued especially for its antiseptic action and beneficial effect upon the respiratory system. It should not be used by people who are prone to allergic skin reactions whilst the essential oil should not be used internally unless under professional supervision
The turpentine obtained from the resin is antirheumatic, antiseptic, balsamic, diuretic, expectorant, rubefacient and vermifuge. It is a valuable remedy in the treatment of kidney, bladder and rheumatic affections, and also in diseases of the mucous membranes and the treatment of respiratory complaints. Externally it is used in the form of liniment plasters and inhalers.
The leaves and young shoots are antiseptic, diuretic and expectorant. They are harvested in the spring and dried for later use. They are used internally for their mildly antiseptic effect within the chest and are also used to treat rheumatism and arthritis. They can be added to the bath water for treating fatigue, nervous exhaustion, sleeplessness, skin irritations. They can also be used as an inhalant in the treatment of various chest complaints.
The essential oil from the leaves is used in the treatment of asthma, bronchitis and other respiratory infections, and also for digestive disorders such as wind.
An essential oil obtained from the seed has diuretic and respiratory-stimulant properties. The seeds are used in the treatment of bronchitis, tuberculosis and bladder infections. A decoction of the seeds can be applied externally to help suppress excessive vaginal discharge.
The plant is used in Bach flower remedies - the keywords for prescribing it are 'Self-reproach', 'Guilt feelings' and 'Despondency'.
The essential oil is used in aromatherapy. Its keyword is 'Invigorating'.

A tan or green dye is obtained from the needles.
The needles contain a substance called terpene, this is released when rain washes over the needles and it has a negative effect on the germination of some plants, including wheat.
A reddish yellow dye is obtained from the cones.
This tree yields resin and turpentine. Oleo-resins are present in the tissues of all species of pines, but these are often not present in sufficient quantity to make their extraction economically worthwhile. The resins are obtained by tapping the trunk, or by destructive distillation of the wood. In general, trees from warmer areas of distribution give the higher yields. Turpentine consists of an average of 20% of the oleo-resin and is separated by distillation. Turpentine has a wide range of uses including as a solvent for waxes etc, for making varnish, medicinal etc. Rosin is the substance left after turpentine is removed. This is used by violinists on their bows and also in making sealing wax, varnish etc. Pitch can also be obtained from the resin and is used for waterproofing, as a wood preservative etc.
An essential oil obtained from the leaves is used in perfumery and medicinally.
A fibre from the inner bark is used to make ropes.
The roots are very resinous and burn well. They can be used as a candle substitute and also used as a natural cordage.
The leaves are used as a packing material. The fibrous material is stripped out of the leaves and is used to fill pillows, cushions and as a packing material.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE