Monkey nuts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'll say it again :) we are never too old to learn; I'd never heard of either tiger nuts or chufas.
Interesting. Were they sold like peanuts ?

cheers,
Toddy

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'll say it again :) we are never too old to learn; I'd never heard of either tiger nuts or chufas.
Interesting. Were they sold like peanuts ?

cheers,
Toddy

To be honest mary I don't remember ever seeing them when I was in the UK. Obviously they were there though. And my only memories of them here are from my childhood when my step-granfather used to grow them.

AndyP

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 30, 2005
Staffs
They are called red skin peanuts and can be bought from Asda for £1 for a 250g bag. Very sweet and high in protein and essential fats..

Fat Rog

Forager
Sep 30, 2012
Rotherham, S. Yorks
+1 for tiger nuts as fishing bait, sadly banned from a lot of the commercial fisheries around here for some reason. Can still use them on the rivers though :) Never heard to them being referred to as monkey nuts, the ones in Bare Thrills' pic are what we called monkey nuts when we were kids.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Loved monkey nuts when I was a kid, nothings changed there apart from my appearance :( what I remember of them.....and that's in the fifties, they remind me of Tiger nuts, on a smaller scale? and don't forget those Nibits.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE