Mid range knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 28, 2022
Uk
Hi had a few cheap mora knives.

Would like something a bit better
I love jack lore classic but not managed to get one.

Would like something full tang with leather sheaf. I want a classic look , find alot of the knives to stealth military look.

General camp/ fire duties , no hunting use

Any suggestions
Cheers john

Aug 28, 2022
Uk
Hi yes fair point
My current knife is £16 my preferred knife is 300 ish

Something in the middle isn't hopei was looking at th tbs boar looks great for the money but what's the quality like
Cheers john

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire

nothing wrong with the quality of TBS knives.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin

Have a look at Brisa knives.
That's the main competitor of Casström.

So far I am informed the Condor knives have a relatively soft steel. When they were far cheaper they were an interesting low budget option but I think nowadays one should rather stick to European production because you get a better value for money here. Or may be American products, but you have to compare the prices in $ , € and £.

An example is the Hultafors GK that's on our side of the pond secret tip No1 if we talk about extremely cheap knives for beginners or rough use around the house or whatever it suits. But although it's made of Japanese steel in Taiwan it's so expensive in the USA that there the here more expensive Morakniv HD is the better choice due to it's more versatile handle and blade length. The same with Esee knives in the opposite way. They are in Europe too expensive to be a good choice, in the USA they are more than OK for the low price.
You have to consider that if you inform yourself also via American sources.

I can't tell you why German axes cost in the USA more than the double than in Germany. It's really strange and happens in both directions.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
In your position I would take that here:

I only didn't buy it because it would surely become much more expensive on the way to Berlin. For a Brit that's a Bargain in my opinion.

If you are tall with big hands that might be another option here if it's still available.

Last edited:

EdS

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I agree with Erbswurst on the two for sale on this forum.

Of the ones I linked to, I would choose the Helle (although being laminated it will be less good at throwing sparks off a ferro rod than a mono-steel blade). I actually own a Lion Steel B41 in orange G10 and it is a well made knife, but I would like a pointier blade, thinner steel and slightly fatter edge to make me really like the knife for bushcraft. The Casstroms are good, but I think 4mm is too thick for steel on that style knife, it makes it heavy and reduces cutting performance on things other than wood shaving.

The DH Russell is a bit like Marmite. I think its a good camping knife, where most work is food prep with some game cleaning, but I think the handle has just about the worst possible ergonomics if you want to carve wood. Some knives that are a little lumpy can have their handles rounded or shaped to feel better, but the D H Russell tang profile is the driving factor and there isn't anything that can really be done.

You should keep an eye on the sales area at Edge Matters forum too. You need to pay to buy, but there can be some nice knives up for sale. Alan Wood sometimes sells his stuff there.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol
Hi yes fair point
My current knife is £16 my preferred knife is 300 ish

Something in the middle isn't hopei was looking at th tbs boar looks great for the money but what's the quality like
Cheers john
Since you already have knives that you can use, perhaps you can wait for something to appear in classified section. Often, knives selling £300 for brand new comes for sale between £150-£200 depending on the condition.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE