Making their mark..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Just returned home after a couple of nights at a Farm commercial campsite. Quite a long drive, but I thought it worth investigating as apparently it is favoured by people 'Who do Bush Craft', or so I was told.

A wooded area close by a river, one of many in Wales. I thought at first it was perhaps it was a pale juvenile Dipper, but decided with a better view and watching it's antics, that it was in fact a Grey wagtail. Bad photo and hardly visible, but the orange spot helps.

Barely enough time to get the tent up and chuck the Bergan and kit in before the threatened rain arrived.

Only a short squall but the water ran off the dropped corner of the tent like a waterfall, then a brew.
Lesson of the day..When Acorn shedding is in full flow...either do not sit under an Oak, or keep your tea mug covered!!

:laugh:...:laugh:

A short wander through the wet woods..But first tether the milk in the cooler.

Nature provides some intriguing sights, like this tree which seems to have re-rooted where the branch touched the ground.

The sights provided by human beings I find less appealing.

Not content with earlier damage to the young Oak on the right, the same person (or another) hacked at the Oak on the left.
If you can't tie knots to rig a Tarp, no problem. Hammer a steel tent peg into the tree for the Paracord.

Ah! But what about the other end..Easy..pass me another peg.

If ever you read of someone being found nailed to a tree in a Welsh wood..You'll know I found them..:laugh:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't think I've ever 'camped' using a four/six inch nail.....come to think on it, I don't think anyone I know has done something like that either.

Must be a different breed.

The damage to the trees is criminal, I think that's literally true.

M

Last edited:

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I came across a camp spot last weekend in which a mature Scots pine had had the entirety of its bark stripped up to head height, and then randomly hacked with an axe.

• Sad
Reactions: Broch

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
And people want to open up the land to everyone :(
You raise an interesting point. I guess there's a balance to be struck, and it depends also on whether you view the issue from the point of view of fundamental access rights, the right to ownership and privacy or from a purely environmental safeguarding point of view. I don't pretend to know where the lines should be drawn, but having seen the effects of tourism on the Lake District these past couple of years my views have shifted somewhat. On the other hand, you could argue that some land management practices such as sheep farming and so on, do even more damage.

Reactions: Billy-o

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Unfortunately, this kind of destruction is why I can't abide 'wilder camp sites'. I booked for an evening with my son to a 'bushcraft woodland' last year and although we did have fun (I went mid week, noone was there) the evidence of other 'bushcrafters' made the place look like a refugee camp. Collapsed tarps, string tied everywhere, litter, huge fire scars and even a remodelled shed that would of been better used in a fire pit.....

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

• Sad
Reactions: swyn

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE