Making coffee in the bush????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I like the Starbucks Via. A friend sent me down a large sample of it and so far it has only been drunk in the jungle. The secret of a good cup of coffee... location, location, location. A GOOD CUP OF COFFEE

Totally agree on the Via. That's a maga-improvement in instant coffee and an excellent field drink. And I keep it in my office as well for those days when I forgot to bring in some beans. :)

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
We've tried everything under the sun to make camp coffee. The last couple years we've stuck to the MEC Gsi java press, $25 at Mountain Equipment Co-op.
I would have to say Starbucks Via is a close second.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
Totally agree on the Via. That's a maga-improvement in instant coffee and an excellent field drink. And I keep it in my office as well for those days when I forgot to bring in some beans. :)

I am a coffee addict. I drink one large mug every morning and it is a very important ritual for me. I keep four packets of Via in my possibles pouch as a morale booster just in case I am caught out without my cup of coffee. On many days coffee IS breakfast.

As for living in South America and drinking "instant coffee" the instant coffee we get here is a chemical swill that IMO does not even resemble coffee other than being brown. The Via is actually quite good and if you didn't know it came from a little packet you might not guess.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That's kinda what I meant Pict. Some of the best coffee in the world is grown in South America so I wouldn't have thought instant would be very popular. I loved the coffee in Panama; he real coffee that is as I never tried instant there. Bear in mind though that was roughly 40 years ago.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I struggle to find a reasonably priced pre packaged coffee as anything weaker than a colombian or french roast literally makes me feel sick. Most of the coffee bags and filter stuff here is a medium strength- no good for me unfortunately.
Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i have in fact considered looking for a cafetiere in 12 cm. thus you can dismantle the filter and push rod (they usually unscrew) and then simply boil your water, put your filter together, drop in your grounds and then press into your 12cm billy.
if you have a 10cm billy your in luck as most cafetiere's are in fact 10cm!
bonus is they're light weight too and should fit in your leather pouch with your billy.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Borde petrol stove, stainless Lavazza Espresso, Lavazza Rossa coffee, Barbados cane sugar.
5coffeecloseup.jpg

http://teddytourteas.blogspot.com/2011/03/borde-petrol-stove.html

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
That's kinda what I meant Pict. Some of the best coffee in the world is grown in South America so I wouldn't have thought instant would be very popular. I loved the coffee in Panama; he real coffee that is as I never tried instant there. Bear in mind though that was roughly 40 years ago.

The best cup of coffee I ever had was on my first flight to Brazil, Lloyd's of Bolivia airline. We made the trip from Miami to La Paz, Boliva in a 727. When we got on the plane it was packed to the gills, everyone had excess hand baggage. It was total confusion. I was sitting there thinking, "What am I getting myself into?"
Then they gave me a cup of coffee, it was silk in a cup, the breakfast blend of paradise. I remember thinking, OK lets give South America a chance. I have now spent most of my adult life here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE