Maintenance and Cooking Oil

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 8, 2015
sussex
Hello,
This is my first post so sorry if this is in the wrong place or has been covered before, I did have a quick look to see if it had.
But whilst I was out today sitting by the fire cooking some eggs in my billy can and getting a bit damp from the drizzle, I was thinking could I use the olive oil I brought with me, for the eggs, for a bit of maintenance on my metal blades and wooden items? Or if maybe a mineral or vegetable oil would be better?
So my question is, Is there one oil that you use for cooking, metal and wood that you take out with you and what is it?
Thanks Sam.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I use olive (vegetable) oil for just about everything. There's a common myth that olive oil will oxidize and go rancid.
I suppose that might happen over 5+ years if the item were never to be used.
a) the oven-baked oil finish on the 70 spoons and 30 forks that I have carved in birch.
b) just a little wipe on each of my cleavers and kitchen prep knives. Greasing bread baking pans.
c) food from focaccia and pizza dough to meat marinades, salad dressings and herbed for storage of dried tomatoes
d) dry skin? the best hand lotion on the planet.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Makes a very good firelighter too does olive oil if added tosome cotton wool. If you use olive oil soaked cotton wool balls to clean your knives and axes, you can light your fire with them afterwards

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
I've wiped my tools down plenty of times with olive oil knives,axes,shafts,handles, sheaths the lot.its always nice too have a little olive oil in yer kit for cooking n yer can use it as fuel for a wicked candle if the mood takes yer
http://youtu.be/sspY_R4olIo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
I carry a small 35mm size plastic pot with lard/vegetable fat in it. Can be used as above but won't leak in your pack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE