Log splitting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
All the ancients here know that I love axes. Indeed I still split with axe, maul, sledge and wedge. But having destroyed our last splitter through overuse after a decade, we dropped the hammer on an 11 ton vertical. Why? Well, I split for 9 straight hours today. I just can't swing an 8 pound sledge for that long any more. For those who split wood the round shown here is 16" high and over a foot diameter. On one day I split enough fuel for two months heating and cooking.

Reactions: scruff and zornt

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It's a never ending process for sure so it's sensible to find ways to make as easy as possible.

Any reason why you went for a vertical splitter rather than a horizantal one Hugh?
Its lifting the big rounds Steve. Some of them are North of 60 kilos in weight. I can just slide them under the vertical splitter. Lifting them on to a horizontal splitter and then having 30 kilo lumps drop off each side ( having been balanced until the ram caught up) gets old fast. Horizontal are great for small stuff but I ended up hand splitting big stuff before putting the flat face of a half round on the horizontal. With a vertical it doesn't fall when split so just rotate & split again.

Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE