Lightweight tent.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I use a Luxe Outdoor Silhexpeak V4a that gets condensation if fully closed, but it's large enough for 1 person to let the entrance open during the night.

The outer tent alone weights only 600 g.
I can hang it under a washing line or a branch because it has a loop at the tip, or I can use a natural stick as central pole.

That is a very nice wind protective solution, which I just combine with bivvy bag or poncho as groundsheet, but they offer a moskito net inner too.

That tent can be used by people who are up to 185cm tall. They offer larger versions too.

Reactions: SaraR

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The Gatewood Cape is a PONCHO TENT for smaller persons. With only 300g it is really light, especially if you count in , that in most conditions you can let your rainsuit at home!
I don't own it but I know people who are very convinced about it.

In it fits the 286g serenity nettent:

I guess a natural stick can be used as a pole here too if you are careful with it.

That is the lightest option for a 360 degrees protected shelter I know.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Love my MSR. Had a few outings and its a great place to be.
View attachment 58474

Had it out once in bouncing rain and it was fine. The reason for the gap is to reduce moisture which it does well. Free standing helps a lot but that can make it fiddly in the woods on undulating ground, still not an issue just being picky. It feels rock solid and well made. Something the super light tents lose. Also feels private compared to those that look like clear polythene.

Reactions: Erbswurst and SaraR

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Had it out once in bouncing rain and it was fine. The reason for the gap is to reduce moisture which it does well. Free standing helps a lot but that can make it fiddly in the woods on undulating ground, still not an issue just being picky. It feels rock solid and well made. Something the super light tents lose. Also feels private compared to those that look like clear polythene.
Yeah, I just seem to experience more heavy rain when camping than the tents ever seem intended for. :) I'm on the hunt for a lightweight 1+/2 person tent but can't make my mind up so great to hear people's experiences.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@SaraR
I met in Normandy a solo cycling women who used the convincing Hilleberg Anjan 2, what is a lighter version of the totally convincing Nallo 2 which I use since decades solo or as a couple.
If one reduces the other stuff and chooses it as light as possible the Anjan 2 could be an option for you, because it's portable as a solo tent but large enough for two.

If that is a sensible idea depends on if you need such a nearly storm resistant expensive bunker.

Should you usually stay in woodland you could think about the SilHexpeak V4a.
It is constructed for one person but works for 2 persons too, but the second sleeping bag is only rain protected if the entrance is closed and the second doesn't fit in the mesh inner tent.

So the Silhexpeak V4a would be an option for you if you usually camp alone but take sometimes for short tours exceptionally a second person with you.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
@SaraR
I met in Normandy a solo cycling women who used the convincing Hilleberg Anjan 2, what is a lighter version of the totally convincing Nallo 2 which I use since decades solo or as a couple.
If one reduces the other stuff and chooses it as light as possible the Anjan 2 could be an option for you, because it's portable as a solo tent but large enough for two.

If that is a sensible idea depends on if you need such a nearly storm resistant expensive bunker.

Should you usually stay in woodland you could think about the SilHexpeak V4a.
It is constructed for one person but works for 2 persons too, but the second sleeping bag is only rain protected if the entrance is closed and the second doesn't fit in the mesh inner tent.

So the Silhexpeak V4a would be an option for you if you usually camp alone but take sometimes for short tours exceptionally a second person with you.
Yeah, I've been looking at those and others but can't make my mind up. I've got plenty of heavier, more spacious options available to me and am sorted for woodlands, but would Iike something light for hiking in open areas. I've been quite tempted by Fjällräven's Abisko Lite 2, but I'm not sure and it's got a fairly low ceiling. I tend to end up in cold, wet and windy places, more than warm and dry, so that's important.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@SaraR
I think you should open an own thread.
Body size for example is an important reason if you buy a tent.
Small persons fit in small and light tents. Women are usually smaller than men, and usually not so strong.

Two tents could be an option for you.
For you alone a small and light one, and if you take a donkey, ahh, boy friend with you a bigger two person tent would be interesting.
If you don't carry additional a bivvy bag with you, because you have to save weight on your way uphill, you should use a quality tent in whet and windy open spaces like the MSR Hubba or better a Hilleberg Akto for example, which is constructed for that and made by using the best materials you can buy.
Mountain equipment is something else than bushcraft equipment or ultra light trekking stuff like the Gatewood Cape. And so you should open an own thread about female mountain tour solo tents, in my opinion.

If you look at the details you will find, that Fjälräven Tents are overpriced and nothing more than bad copies of Hilleberg tents.

Last edited:
Reactions: SaraR

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE