[Kew lecture] Shamans, scientists and plants: exploring the bio-cultural diversity of

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Thursday 29 Nov, 6pm, Kew's Jodrell Lecture theatre, London. FREE
(I'm not affiliated, but a huge fan of Kew and its public lecture programme etc.)

Public lecture by Jeremy Narby
Shamans, scientists and plants: exploring the bio-cultural diversity of the Amazon

Abstract
Though observers have misunderstood shamans for centuries, times are changing.
Scientists are now opening up to learning with their indigenous colleagues. An
anthropologist active between systems of knowledge reports on a recent encounter
between a leading tuberculosis researcher and a well-respected ayahuasca shaman.

The goal of their collaboration is to find a cure for a deadly disease by combining
visions and technology, plants and molecules. The point is to move beyond old
blockages and do what it takes to solve real problems. Microscopes and modified
consciousness can be combined in a quest for knowledge.

About the speaker
Jeremy Narby, Ph.D., studied history at the University of Kent at Canterbury, and
received a doctorate in anthropology from Stanford University. He is director of
Amazonian projects for Swiss NGO "Nouvelle Planète". He has written several
books including "The cosmic serpent, DNA and the origins of knowledge", and
"Intelligence in nature: an inquiry into knowledge", and co-edited with Francis Huxley
"Shamans through time: 500 years on the path to knowledge".

Organised by The Centre for Pharmacognosy & Phytotherapy (School of Pharmacy,
London), with the Royal Botanic Gardens Kew and the Royal Anthropological Institute.

Thursday 29th November 6pm, Jodrell Lecture Theatre, Royal Botanic Gardens,
Kew TW9 3DS.
Entry by the Jodrell Gate, Kew Road, admission free, no ticket required.
Nearest tube: Kew Gardens.
Nearest rail: Kew Gardens (Silverlink), Kew Bridge (South West trains)

It all sounds fabulously loopy :D

Hawthorn

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2005
London
I certainly thought it was very interesting, currently in final year of an Anthropology Bsc so was certainly very relevant to my course and personal interest. I did feel that most of what was said he has previously covered in his book 'The Cosmic Serpent: DNA and the Origins of Knowledge' (a most worthy read) and there was little in the way of new research (minus the reference to possible breakthroughs in TB research).
I did however really enjoy it and will certainly be reading his other books because of the lecture. I will also be on the keen lookout on the Kew website and others for future lectures which I had not considered before.

Thanks for the heads-up about it Jodie much appreciated, what did you make of it?
Hawthorn

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I thought it was gloriously barking and I sat with a grin on my face pretty much the whole
way through.

Barking!

I've not heard of him or his books other than this lecture and I thought he was the most
chilled out speaker I've ever seen. His manner reminded me a little of Gene Wilder
in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - I half expected Oompa Loompas to pop up
at any moment, which mightn't actually have seemed that inappropriate!

I am definitely throwing my lot in with the botanists and ethnobotanists - mad as a box
of frogs, the lot of them. Fantastic :D

Were you the very enthusiastic guy telling me about your plans to get funding on the
walk back to the station?

I'm pretty clueless about anthropology but I definitely want to get that Bruno Latour book
where he observes a laboratory working on a peptide and writes about their 'literary
inscriptions'.

Anyway the talk was fascinating and wonderfully delivered - bits I disagreed with, but it
was most thought provoking.

Check out Kew's KMIS lecture website (largely on the botanical / horticultural side) and
the page on economic botany includes the listings pages for the London anthropology
websites. If ethnobotany's your bag you're v. welcome to keep an eye on the facebook
group which, given the relatively few numbers of groups about ethnobotany, should be
easy to find - mine's the one that's not the official Kent one :cool:

I'm hoping (emphasis on hoping) to arrange a public viewing next year at Kew of Mark
Plotkin's "The Shaman's Apprentice" and I'll let you know if I get clearance - I was
chatting to one of the Kew guys afterwards to see if it's a possibility. Have you seen it?
See also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALG5NQgcMqQ

I heart Kew :D If it was a bit nearer to Blackheath I'd definitely try and work there - I
would sweep floors for them :)

Jo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE