Islay Journeyman Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
E

ecoman

I am "ecoman"s wife... not ecoman! but for the most part, this is our recollection.

what a superb course... mind you, its was weeks ago now, but still remains clear in our memories. Considering it was our first chance to get out and test our limits for real, it was a worthy course.

Luxor1 makes an excellent review and we wanted to add our tuppence. (Hi Timmy! :D )

Islay is the stuff of legends. We hiked the northern tip of the island, across moorlands, marsh, up K2 (or something like it) scaled down 50 foot cliffs along goat paths and slept in some of the most breathtaking landscape I have ever seen... mind you, its Scotland!

As Luxor1 mentions, Jeremy is a fine host and teacher. Happy to go at the slowest members pace (which I am certain was me half the time) We had the chance to practice skills remembered from childhood, and learned off the telly :eek: as well as picking up a few new tricks.

Apart from the physical exertion, this course was unlike I expected... I had braced myself for an unholy survival of the fittest and was pleasantly surprised that it was not designed to break me!

Bushcraft? well... I guess its what you make of it, what you take of it, and is limited to the environment youre in. There were some healthy debates on the enviroment, and what really was bushcraft... most of which are as easy to solve as the meaning of life, but it was certainly a learning experience... both personally and academically.

Luxor1 lists the skills learned exhaustively, check under his profile for more info, but for any families reading, or those dipping their toes into bushcraft, this was exciting, well within most averagly fit peoples ability, a true break from the norm, and full of interesting bushcraft skill... ask more! it was great!

DJ... if youre reading this... did you get the tea for petes sake!?

and Jeremy... or was it Lawrence? ;) thanks!

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Always good to read people's opinions on courses etc and helps give a broad picture from different perspectives. Thanks ;) Sounds a good one indeed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE