iPhone emergency info

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jay131

Nov 20, 2021
Aberdovey
Hey folks,
Do your loved ones a favour… go into your ‘Settings’ and find ‘Emergency SOS’. Fill in all the details you can.
The info can be accessed from your phone without needing a PIN. It could save your life or at the very least let your loved ones know you’re in bother.

Reactions: wookii

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
You can do it with Android phones as well
That's a relief. Carting two phones round would be annoying.
I didn't know that. Don't know how either.
Did you know you can text to 999 rather than ring if you register with them first, may be good where you don't have much or any signal.
I used a label maker thingy to print out the Whatthreewords location of my front door with W3W at the start and stuck that on my phone. So W3W SCAN CLOAK CLOSER

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Sorry, the signal is bad and the wind noise is making it difficult to hear - was that "stan, float, looser"? - say that again "can, clot, closer"?

Have you got a grid reference instead?

Sorry, this is a bit of a soap box of mine - we have a much more accurate and non-commercial system in the UK. Not all emergency services have bought into the W3W decoding.

Reactions: Wandering Fred

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
W3W combined with a text message is a lot more kid friendly in my opinion which is why I've done it.
Plus I've gone through the W3W strings that are near enough my house to pick ones that are easier to not mis-spell, many of the words they use would be tricky for a young un. Any emergency service not up to speed in the UK with W3W would hardly be put out by using it, or converting it.
I have read the perfectly understandable criticism of it, the fact that the "unique" identifiers are only unique within the 32 (?) languages they use, and OS is of course awesome. DMMSS.SS or DM.MMM or D.DDDD can be confused too, one mis-keyed grid reference for someone not paying attention, etc.
Just one idea for one scenario for my son.

Jay131

Nov 20, 2021
Aberdovey
This is a great little free App following on from the GR vs W3W conversation:

OS Locate

Doesn’t rely on phone signal or mobile data. Just uses your phone gps to provide either OS G.R. or a Lat/Long position. Also gives altitude.

Can even be used as a tracker when you opt to share your position with others.

Reactions: nigelp

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Was watching a court trial last week, where the husband was shot, and his wife went into shock and couldn't unlock her own phone to call emergency services, and didn't know about emergency dialing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stew and nigelp

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE