I'm new to these parts...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
Hi everyone,
Thought I'd make my first post on this excellent forum a proper introduction.
I've been hanging around reading stuff for weeks before finally registering - there's some fascinating info from some very knowledgeable people on these pages.
As a newcomer to bushcraft I'm not sure I'm going to be much use to anyone for quite some time, but I hope to contribute as and when I can.
A few quick details about me: I'm 48, married with ten-year-old twins and work in the newspaper industry.
I've worked in newspaper offices for nearly thirty years, so getting out into the great outdoors is the perfect antidote to my working life.
Earlier this year I started fly-fishing for the first time - mainly on stillwaters for trout - and I'm absolutely hooked, if you'll pardon the pun.
I've also started going on long walks again in search of flora and fauna (with my handy Collins guides and binocs in the pocket of my backpack).
Many years ago, pre-married life, I was a serious hillwalker/wild camper, largely in the Lake District and North Wales, but that all changed once the kids came along.
I now live on the southside of Glasgow and am eager to get back outdoors as often as possible.
I'm a big Ray Mears fan but don't really enjoy Bear Grylls-style adventurin' - I'm a bit suspicious of just how realistic his escapades are.
I much prefer RM's more culturally-focused programmes, where he meets with/learns from various indigenous peoples. Fascinating stuff.
Anyway, I'm rambling a bit now so I'll finish off by mentioning the areas of interest I'm planning on focusing my (limited) spare time on:
Fishing
Woodland walks and crafts
Leatherworking
I'm not particularly handy with tools but I'm eager to listen and learn.
My first project is going to be a Saami-style leather pouch using a beautiful piece of (camel) hide I got from the Barrhead Tannery south of Glasgow.
That's me about done - looking forward to hanging out on the forum and meeting you all.
Best wishes
Steve :fishing:

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
'As a newcomer to bushcraft I'm not sure I'm going to be much use to anyone for quite some time'

hiya steve, :)
your very presence is all thats needed at any meet, thats the best contribution anyone can make, (and the best way to pick things up) look forward to seeing more of your posts!
oh and welcome to BCUK :D

steve

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Hey Steve,...

very nice first post my man,...

welcome to our little cyber clearing in the vast tinterweb forest,...

hahahaha

Cheers

Stu

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Welcome aboard Steve.

Plenty of us nearby,shouldn't be long before we meet up even if just for a walk or spot of rainbow bashing.

Tom

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
welcome champ, the 3 wonders black pennal, viva and a kate mclaren, you,ve been told

cheers phil

Yep, got all three of those in my fly box. Had some success with the viva and the kate, but not the black pennel yet. Also had a good day (at Craufurdland Fishery in Fenwick, Ayrshire) with a Hardy Gold Butcher - four in the bag, three rainbows and a bluey. My best day so far (not a monster catch, I know, but I'm stilll wearing the 'L' plates!) :fishing:

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Welcome steve,

Hope you enjoy milling about in here as much as I do. There are some knowledgeable folk in here only too willing to offer advice. I have learnt a lot already from threads posted on here, most of which I can use/identify when out and about.

All the best,
Pablo.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE