Honey Dippers and assorted Turnings

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Here are a couple of honey dippers that I have turned on my pole lathe.
These are hazel, probably not the best wood, but it is what I have right now.
Until recently I was unsure of why anyone would use a honey dipper (other than in the stock photograph on the box of any honey related breakfast cereal). I thought that they would be wasteful of honey - you could never get it all out from the grooves, but you could lick a spoon clean!

However, it has been pointed out to me that a honey dipper stays in a dedicated honey pot, and doesn't get washed, so there is no waste. I'll be on the lookout for some suitable jars now, that I can turn some lids for (with a notch for the dipper to sit in)

Also I have turned some spoons, not massive ones this time as the hazel I have didn't have any long knot free sections.

The council has been cutting down loads of wiilow locally. I've used willow before for rake making, but not spoons, so with a plentiful supply of willow at hand I thought I'd give it a go. Here is a two foot willow spoon.
Willow doesn't turn very cleanly (I had to use sandpaper to smooth the handle), and it is soft and marks easily, especially where the lathe cord wrapped around. However, now it is dry it is a super lightweight spoon. I don't know how strong it will be though.

Thanks for looking.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Nice work there, especially the dippers.............I'm intrigued to know why you think Hazel is not the best wood; d'you mean for turning, or in general?

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Nice work there, especially the dippers.............I'm intrigued to know why you think Hazel is not the best wood; d'you mean for turning, or in general?

I meant that for domestic utensils something like sycamore is better, as it is generally cleaner looking and doesn't taint the food.

Hazel does turn beautifully, and can take a good finish, so there is nothing inherently wrong with using it. I just wish the council would take down some sycamores soon.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Lovely work there, the honey dippers look very good. What do you use to oil/seal them?

I'm not planning on doing anything to seal them. I suppose a food safe oil that sets (polymerises?) properly could be used.
However, if the dipper is to live in honey, which has natural antibacterial properties, then I should think it would be OK with a bare wood finish.
I only turned them to use up some small offcuts, and as an exercise in fiddly small turning.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Very tidy :D and very practical too :approve:

If you're up for making lids, then often the charity shops have old crystal jam jars that have lost theirs…they have inset rims, with a wee ledge to rest the lid upon. Never very expensive in those shops either, and often the older things like those were of very good quality indeed.

M

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Very tidy :D and very practical too :approve:

If you're up for making lids, then often the charity shops have old crystal jam jars that have lost theirs…they have inset rims, with a wee ledge to rest the lid upon. Never very expensive in those shops either, and often the older things like those were of very good quality indeed.

M
I really like that idea - would look great with a turned lid.
honey dippers and spoons look lovely.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I can confirm that the spoons are beautiful in the hand and the generous handles are a joy to hold compared with the nasty thin commercial things.

Brown Sauce Mix by British Red, on Flickr

Perfect for stirring the brown sauce mix :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE