Home made Maple Syrup and sugar.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dontkillbill

Forager
Feb 24, 2013
PEI Canada
www.youtube.com
I made maple syrup and a bit of maple sugar last night. Actually I made 40 rounds of 303 and Maple syrup yesterday. I felt really Canadian yesterday eh.

The sugar is so creamy it is a treat for sure!

Next weekend the sap will likely dy off but I will have one more batch. I might reduce one pint down to 60 percent sugar instead of 66 percent (legally its sap at 66 percent and mix it with a whisky) I think that might make a nice drink. Any thoughts?

[video=youtube_share;nIzs4bQryBI]http://youtu.be/nIzs4bQryBI[/video]

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Next weekend the sap will likely dy off but I will have one more batch. I might reduce one pint down to 60 percent sugar instead of 66 percent (legally its sap at 66 percent and mix it with a whisky) I think that might make a nice drink. Any thoughts?

I suspect 60% would be too thick - I'd aim for around 40% (never done maple syrup but have made sugar from beet). It would be a waste of good whisky, but great if you can get the strong Everclear (we use 90% alcohol spirytus here but shine from the tap would work) you should preserve the maple flavour. Cut it 50/50 syrup to Everclear and you should end up with a spirit strengrh drink with a soft flavour.

Fun to try anyway....my 20% abv suicider certaonly worked out well!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I made maple syrup and a bit of maple sugar last night. Actually I made 40 rounds of 303 and Maple syrup yesterday. I felt really Canadian yesterday eh.

The sugar is so creamy it is a treat for sure!

Next weekend the sap will likely dy off but I will have one more batch. I might reduce one pint down to 60 percent sugar instead of 66 percent (legally its sap at 66 percent and mix it with a whisky) I think that might make a nice drink. Any thoughts?....[/video]

I've often wondered if you couls actually distill it down to make spirits the same way cane juice is distilled down to make rum?

As for BR's suggestion that 66% might be too thick, well possibly so. But the thinness was my only real complaint with maple syrup. I love the tatse but prefer the viscocity of something such as honey or molasses.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE