Help, recommend hammock spots Derbyshire or Cheshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

silverpac64

Tenderfoot
Jul 11, 2021
biddulph moor
Is there anywhere in Derbyshire OR Cheshire where you can go hammock camping legally , or is there anyone who has some woodland where I could try ? Ive got all the kit but have only used it in the back garden as I dont know of anywhere to go . Any help or advice welcome . All the best . Ps I am 58 years old and never leave a mess .

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
In your position I would search in the hiking maps for springs. They are usually located in forests and there shouldn't be contamiated with anything. The water should be safe to drink.

The stream should cross not too far away a meadow that is a bit higher located than the surrounding terrain. Like this it stays rather dry and there will develop no pool of cold air. At this point you can take water out of the stream for washing up your dishes.

Optimal is a little lake not far away for swimming of course.

The spots that look like this you visit for a day hike, look at the surrounding area and if there is a thick hedge approximately 100 metres away from the forest for wind protection of your camp. The 100 metres distance you need to avoid risks of forest fires.
It's worth to look in the laws about that if you have a different distance that's important for you.

Take photos of the spot if you like it, ask in the next village who owns it and simply ask the owner for permission to camp there.

After a few trials you will surely have success somewhere. It's worth the effort only for optimal wild camping spots.

In Germany we have no problem to find like this permission for a 80 persons boy scout camp with 11 camp fires.

I can't imagine that it is much different in Britain. And if you offer the farmer a bit help to work in the forest and hedge they surely aren't all strictly against it.

Last edited:

draybo

Sep 21, 2022
Nottinghamshire
Is there anywhere in Derbyshire OR Cheshire where you can go hammock camping legally , or is there anyone who has some woodland where I could try ? Ive got all the kit but have only used it in the back garden as I dont know of anywhere to go . Any help or advice welcome . All the best . Ps I am 58 years old and never leave a mess .
Try places like beehive woodland camp mate

Reactions: silverpac64

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE