Hello

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 29, 2017
Radstock
Hi, I am Jon.

I used to do a lot of bushcraft stuff when I was in the air cadets many years ago!

I would like to re-learn and improve my skills. I always used the SAS Survival Manual by Lofty Wiseman as my "Bible" so I have re-ordered a new copy.

Any other recommendations for practical UK woodland survival skill books would be appreciated please.

Ultimately I would like to use my interest skills into becoming a part time instructor doing day/weekend courses for families. I think that bushcraft is a brilliant way for families to bond and get back to nature.

I would like to get some form of qualification. Is it worth becoming a Forest School Leader first? Or best just do a level 4 course? I live in Bath and I don't travel far. Where would be the closest place I could start getting a level 4 qualification please.

Thanks,

Jon.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Greetings Jon welcome to BCUK, i'm confused a bit here, did i miss something? When did the backwoods life get a diploma or NVQ? If there is such a thing then who does the courses and who do they prove we are competent too and to what level?

Last time i checked you don't ever qualify, you don't complete the course and then go on to teach the course, the learning and skills acquired just leads to more learning and skills to acquire, maybe that's just my own mindset like :D

I often attend learning and courses with other folks but I go on this learning and often pay good money for the privilege because of what these people share publicly via Youtube and sites like this one, an NVQ or diploma or other such qualification certificate would not sway this choice in any way without all the public persona social media proof of their skills and most importantly their character

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

Welcome Jon.

The subject of bushcraft courses/qualification/teaching has come up on here a number of times before and if you research this site you will find some very useful information about how to go about the aspects and (some possibly sobering information) as to whether it is a viable means of making a living or even as a part time supplement.

I'm with GGTbod re the 'bushcraft quals' opinion but I can see the value in some form of evidence of competency re certain aspects of it. I won't go into mega detail here as it has been well covered before but I would offer this way of viewing the subject which may help with your approach -

1. Bushcraft competency consists of knowledge and the ability to apply it effectively.
The knowledge comes through factual learning and the ability to apply it effectively comes through practice and experience, arguably more quickly with coaching and assessment!

You can learn from a book/DVD/inet etc, practice under your own steam (even in your back yard) and build your experience with small-to-extended outings in the countryside, solo or as a member of a group (plenty on here).

2. Training delivery (or teaching) of bushcraft practices (or any other subject) is a separate issue.

Some people are naturally gifted at passing over information in a logical, structured, effective way without having had formal 'teacher' training - others (many in my experience) are definitely not!

But (professionally) delivering training is not just about the ability to effectively put subject information over to a student(s), it also encompasses many other aspects for example pre lesson planning, venue survey, risk assessment, as well as how to deal with situations that may arise during training delivery - i.e. a student isn't taking in what you are teaching - or challenges your knowledge/demonstration etc, etc!

Consider this thought - if someone is paying for training then they should expect quality, professional delivery - I'm sure that you would.

So with that thought in mind any formal training and qualification should start with the 'teaching' aspect not the 'subject' aspect (i.e. bushcraft practices) but that then brings us back to 'bushcraft qualification' -

Would you for example expect a qualified teacher of maths not to have a formal qualification in mathematics at least as high as the level that they are teaching to? Why not with bushcraft then?!! I'd better stop there 'cos it really will open a can of worms.:lmao:

You might for example pursue a City & Guilds qualification in adult training parallel to the 'bushcraft' subjects that you learn.

Here is a link to that -

http://www.itchen.ac.uk/download_file/1478/580/

Of note is that with that qualification provided that you have the subject knowledge you could effectively deliver professional training on just about anything.

Happy learning/training:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE