Hello from Aberdeen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 9, 2006
Aberdeen
Hello all,

I have recently come across the site and have found it very interesting and decided to find out more and signed up.

Like every body else I enjoy being outside and wanted to be able to get more from it, by knowing more. I grew up in the country side and loved playing outside in the field and woods around my house. I spent many years in the scouts and eventualy became a leader and enjoyed all that I did. Once at Uni it did some climbing, skiing and wild camping as often as my budget could cope. I now have a couple of horses and my wife and I love to get out and she in particular is involved with endurance riding.

I feel that people don't look favourably on bushcraft and it is treaded some what similarly to game shooting. I am not overly outgoing and I am wary about getting started and experimenting.

How have other people taken their first steps and how do you find peoples attitudes?

Later days,

Gordo

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Welcome to the site Gordo I'm sure you will enjoy it. I live not all that far from you in Strathdon and we often have the endurance riding people past our house. If you want to get in touch sometime just let me know. :)

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Hi Gordo and welcome here. I find it strange what you say about peoples attitude to bushcraft. I have found a great interest from my customers and friends and those I meet down the pub. "Wow, you sleep in the woods". "You cook over a fire ?", " do you go with Ray Mears ?" and such like.....

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Gordo said:
Hello all,

I have recently come across the site and have found it very interesting and decided to find out more and signed up.

Like every body else I enjoy being outside and wanted to be able to get more from it, by knowing more. I grew up in the country side and loved playing outside in the field and woods around my house. I spent many years in the scouts and eventualy became a leader and enjoyed all that I did. Once at Uni it did some climbing, skiing and wild camping as often as my budget could cope. I now have a couple of horses and my wife and I love to get out and she in particular is involved with endurance riding.

I feel that people don't look favourably on bushcraft and it is treaded some what similarly to game shooting. I am not overly outgoing and I am wary about getting started and experimenting.

How have other people taken their first steps and how do you find peoples attitudes?

Later days,

Gordo
Hi Gordo and a warm welcome,

My first stab at something that I later found was included in bushcraft was friction fire. I would try it out by myself down the shed. I was then a scout leader and would try and show the lads what I was doing, with a number of notable failures, but they were really supportive.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello Gordo, welcome to BcUK :)

There's a largish group of us in Scotland, and we have frequent visits from south of the borders; good company, even if they do speak kind of funny :rolleyes: :D
To be honest no one seems to make a big thing or fuss out of us wanting to be outdoors, practising all sorts of different crafts and wilderness living skills, certainly I've had no disapproval, just real interest.

Cheers,
toddy

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Toddy said:
Hello Gordo, welcome to BcUK :)

There's a largish group of us in Scotland, and we have frequent visits from south of the borders; good company, even if they do speak kind of funny :rolleyes: :D
To be honest no one seems to make a big thing or fuss out of us wanting to be outdoors, practising all sorts of different crafts and wilderness living skills, certainly I've had no disapproval, just real interest.

Cheers,
toddy
Well said Toddy. Couldn't agree more!

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Hi and welcome to the site

Having been a game shooter too people attitudes in my experience are far more forgiving than shooting!

No offence meant to anyone on here who wears DPM (and i do sometimes too) but that seems to be a bit offputting to some people.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE