Has anyone successfully grown saffron crocus' ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Four or five years ago I planted 24 saffron crocus bulbs in pots in my front garden. They grow vigorously, but in all that time I have a total of three flowers on them. Hardly a crop of saffron :sigh:

So, this afternoon, since they're well died back and should be going dormant, I dug up one pot to find not eight bulbs, but eight clumps of bulbs (nearly eighty) bulbs, and all small though.

How the hang do I make saffron crocus' flower ? Is it just too cold and wet here ? and if so, who's in a much drier bit and would like to make a go of them ?

M

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Yes we've grown it and had plenty of flowers. There are tips on what to do, corn depth seems important - the shallower they're planted the more corns will tend to split into several smaller ones. Planting them six inches deep seems common.

How have you planted them? They need well drained soil, good light and protecting from critters. It might also be worth giving them a feed of potash for flower development.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I planted them in gravelly soil, six inches deep and they've been grown in the sunniest part of the garden. I planted them in pots in the hope that they'd drain better in them than in our sodden wet Lanarkshire clay.
The bulbs look healthy enough, no rot, loads of leaves, just no flowers/

Potash ? potash I can do.

Nice link Disco1 :D Thank you, I'll mind them.

M

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I do not know for sure but if they are fed drained and healthy and brought in in the winter, they sound like they are probably a plant like asparagus, truffles, or rhubarb, that is best left to mature undisturbed for oh lets say for four or five years to get some route stock. Bulbs in clumps that flower (there is a term) seem to be unstoppable once rooted well.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well, we bought big bulbs supposed to flower that year. One flowered and I thought they were just settling in. But, and I checked earlier this evening, they've been in four years now and in total I have had three flowers.

Something's not right with their situation I reckon. I don't know if it's soil or climate or daylight, but they're growing but not flowering.

M

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Well, we bought big bulbs supposed to flower that year. One flowered and I thought they were just settling in. But, and I checked earlier this evening, they've been in four years now and in total I have had three flowers.

Something's not right with their situation I reckon. I don't know if it's soil or climate or daylight, but they're growing but not flowering.

M

Well if in 4 years they have grown into a large bulb mass they can't be that far off.

As for much grown in this country of a delicate or tropical nature I bet it's done under plastic, so you could try protecting them more, bringing them in in the winter. Also pots can experience soil leaching so half bury them so the water doesn't run through them so quickly but the aree raised all the same. Bulbs being blind is usually a symptom of exessive loss of energy, and lack of nutrients so it could be a factor. Chuck a few worms in the pot little fertiliser etc.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Write to Gardener's Question Time!

I've often heard it said that some plants only flower when stressed. Try mistreating them a bit

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE