has anyone looked at making a coracle boat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
coracle boat

we hear and read often about canoe making yet we cannot forget the tried and tested coracle boats

are there any decent plans or resources you know of

do you need as much room or less room than for making a canoe

what wood did you use

what wood would you recommend

did you carve it out of a fallen tree

for those that may not of heard or read about coracle boats here is a wiki article about them

A coracle is a small, rounded,[1] lightweight boat of the sort traditionally used in Wales, and also in parts of the West Country and in Ireland, particularly the River Boyne,[2] and in Scotland, particularly the River Spey. The word is also used of similar boats found in India, Vietnam, Iraq and Tibet.[3] The word "coracle" is an English spelling of the original Welsh cwrwgl, cognate with Irish and Scottish Gaelic currach, and is recorded in English text as early as the sixteenth century. Other historical English spellings include corougle, corracle, curricle and coricle. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coracle

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I’ve made an improvised one on a survival course. We made two rings of stakes then filled the gap with brush and branches. It was then covered in a tarp and flipped over and binded. Worked well for floating around on flat water trying to catch fish.

bearbait

Search "Richard Graves Bushcraft". He has plans there for an improvised "bush" coracle. And it seems very much like Limaed's explanation above.

As Tengu says, "They are difficult to control". In my view (and experience) they are not long distance craft, more for river crossing or a spot of fishing, drifting slowly.

However, some years ago I was moving a yacht from the Med. to the English Channel via the French rivers and canals and came across someone using a largish vehicle inner tube as a coracle to get himself along the river. He had his gear strapped to the tube and his feet dangling in the water. With some straps or cords and a piece of ply or suchlike and one could create a floor for the coracle, albeit a slightly leaky one. In a way I suppose it was a cheap and basic Packraft.

Last edited:

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Search "Richard Graves Bushcraft". He has plans there for an improvised "bush" coracle. And it seems very much like Limaed's explanation above.

As Tengu says, "They are difficult to control". In my view (and experience) they are not long distance craft, more for river crossing or a spot of fishing, drifting slowly.

However, some years ago I was moving a yacht from the Med. to the English Channel via the French canals and came across someone using a largish vehicle inner tube as a coracle to get himself along the canal. He had his gear strapped to the tube and his feet dangling in the water. With some straps or cords and a piece of ply or suchlike and one could create a floor for the coracle, albeit a slightly leaky one. In a way I suppose it was a cheap and basic Packraft.
Yes you’re correct. The course was with Woodlore and Uncle Ray was inspired by Graves and the design is in his book ‘Bushcraft’ too. It was a pretty fun group exercise.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
i've made a couple over the years. Willow is perfect for the frame work, long and thin coppice, soaked in water for at least a week. Any half decent wood for the seat.
The trick is getting the layout right, building upside down. draw your outline in the ground. At equal points, put your long willow staves into the ground, then weave 3 to 4 layers of willow tightly to create the thwarts. Add the seat, then weave away.
It certainly is a skill and the first few maybe hit and miss.
Covering is really what you have to hand. Animal skin if you are lucky. plastic tarp works well but the best is canvas tarp, coated with a pitch tar.
Hope that helps. but try and find some proper tutorials, some even have proper plans.
Good luck

Reactions: Brizzlebush

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire

However, some years ago I was moving a yacht from the Med. to the English Channel via the French rivers and canals and came across someone using a largish vehicle inner tube as a coracle to get himself along the river. He had his gear strapped to the tube and his feet dangling in the water. With some straps or cords and a piece of ply or suchlike and one could create a floor for the coracle, albeit a slightly leaky one. In a way I suppose it was a cheap and basic Packraft.

I have paddled and explored from a coracle for a number of years. Lovely stable (once you’re used to how they move) platform and surprising nippy...I find them to be efficient to paddle with very little effort producing movement...it’s all in the technique I think...sadly my coracle has long past the point of repair so will be replaced in the quieter months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I made a "Bull Boat" and wrote it up for "Survival Weaponry and Techniques" MANY years ago ... canoes are easy to control and have even been used to cross the English Channel (my corracle instructor Bernie did it). Simple craft, simple to use, simple to build. The posts above pretty much cover the info I could give.
Go for it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE