Has anyone got a clematis fireboard to swap?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Having spent a goodly portion of last winter learning the bow drill in my garage, this year's project is the hand drill.

I cut some nice elder yesterday which is now debarked and drying but I could really use a good piece of clematis for a hearth as I don't have any locally.

If any of you wonderful people have a piece then in return I can offer some very nice flint pieces ready to knap. They are large flakes already.

PM's welcome.

Thanks,

SM

:thankyou:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i pass a load of clematis when i'm walking the dog, i'll have a look tomorrow morning (it'll be dark by the time i take him tonight) to see if there's anything suitable for you

stuart

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I'm still in the market for a piece of clematis folks.

Postage gladly paid plus a nice piece of arrowhead flint ready to knap as a thank you.

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Hi Stringmaker,
I did go out to my woods at the weekend,and i did cut a piece of clematis down for you.
However i only took my laplander with me.When back home cutting it into a hearth board with an axe
i found it to be rotten in the middle.
Bare with me and i will cut you a piece this weekend.:)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Hi Stringmaker,
I did go out to my woods at the weekend,and i did cut a piece of clematis down for you.
However i only took my laplander with me.When back home cutting it into a hearth board with an axe
i found it to be rotten in the middle.
Bare with me and i will cut you a piece this weekend.:)

I really appreciate it, thanks.

I didn't want to hassle you as you're doing me a favour so thought I'd mention it in the general thread.

:)

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Hey Stringmaker,
I have been out today and got you a piece of clematis.
I trimmed it down with an axe,it's about 15mm thick, 35mm wide and about 235mm long.
I have it drying on the radiator at the moment.
I will post it to you when it's dried
Hope it's going to help you on your hand drill journey.
Atb Andy
Picture718.jpg

PM your addy mate.

Last edited:

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
No worries. If someone is offering to do me a favour I don't want to hassle them.

Having said that, if you DO happen upon another piece then you know where to send it :)

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I've got a load of clematis from the moot, but I've no idea how to cut it down. I intended to put it through a bandsaw, but not as yet had the chance... guess I can afford to sacrifice some with my inferior axe work :)

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
You could try battoning a bit perhaps? That's pretty controlled and a lot faster and bushier than a bandsaw. If you have loads and are willing to trade some for something please let me know. My piece is nearly finished due to excessive use and I don't know exactly what I'm looking for in the woods. I thought you needed clematis of the garden variety until Ocean1975 pointed out otherwise...

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Same here - until I went on the moot and ended up with a fairly large sawn chunks about 3" thick (and about a foot long)

Always interested in different baseboards etc!

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
No idea to be honest. This is all a black box to me. I was only aware of the garden variety myself, never thought to look for it in the woods before.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Ocean1975 has very kindly sent me a piece.

Looking closely at the wood it seems a lot less dense and almost fibrous when compared to other hearthwoods.

I haven't tried it out yet due to other pressures but I'm always willing to swap another bit for something if tim_n has some he can spare.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE