Grub's Stalker Boots - an alternative to Muck Boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Went to a country sports day today and finally got to try on a pair of the much vaunted "Muck Boots" (sort of short neoprene wellies for those that haven't seen them). Very nice they are too - lighter, softer and far more comfortable than a normal wellington (and even than a Le Chameau / Hunter type although not as high on the leg).

Anyway, on to the point of the post. The same guy had some "Grub's Stalkers" in and said "why not try them too". The first thing I noticed were that they had a vibram sole and a more agressive tread than the Mucks. They were also a litlle lighter. I ended up with the Grub's since they fitted my foot a little better (that may of course not be true of others). I'm certainly sold on the concept of the Neoprene wet weather boot - I suspect the choice of brand will be an individual thing.

Heres a link to the Grub's if anyone is interested (I bought them elsewhere but its the same style)

http://stalkersuk.com/product_info....d=309&osCsid=fbb1f9d29a362bfd918fab26c460c34f

I'll let you know how they fair as the weather turns

Red

I bought a pair of Grubs Stalkers last month. I was after Mucks but believe it or not there was no supplier in the whole of the west of scotland who had them in stock and the nearest I could get was Grub Stalkers from Crockets in Glasgow.

After a month of heavy use I can honestly say they are the comfiest "wellies" I've ever used. Formerly I'd used chainsaw boots, hunters or hunter clones but none come close to the comfort and fit of these Grubs. I know a few folk who have leaky muck boots so I'm curious to see how the grubs compare in the long run. So far the fit, grip and comfort have been outstanding, although I payed £69 for them:eek: I'd encourage anyone to try the vibram soled stalkers and see how they get on!

WS

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm about a year in now - still absolutely loving mine. Comfortable, dry & warm. No leaks, no blisters, no cold feet.

"Red Recommends"

Red

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
I used to wear neoprene gloves to stop my fingers freezing cutting cauliflower. Just from sweaty hands, the smell of those gloves was rank.

fills me with dread, the thought of putting neoprene on my feet :( But, youll have toasty warm feet

a12jpm

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 15, 2008
Perthshire
Had my Grubbs for about 6 months now after being a Hunter fan for years and don't see me buying anything else now. Great grip for the long walks between drives at the shoot and toasty too when on the peg.

Jul 22, 2010
Aberdeenshire
:nono:Bought a pair of Grubs Stalker boots April 2009 and have used infrequently on dog walks. The vibram sole has been excellent and the boots warm during our cold 2009/10 winter in Aberdeenshire.
I have used the boots perhaps 20 times and there is not a scuff on them. Unfortunately they are starting to ship water after 15 months. The vibram sole is coming away from the upper which to me indicates a manufacturing fault in the bonding process. This is happening on both boots.
Contacted Garlands the manufacturers and because the boots are outside the 12 month warranty, they refuse to replace or repair. Very disappointed as the boots have a massive potential.
My wife uses 5 year old Muck boot wellingtons and has never had a problem. I believe I will be buying these next

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Does the European directive about 2 year warranty help at all, it's not actual law here i don't think due to the UK not completely adopting it but i've used it a couple of times to get items sorted over the year old mark.

Be good if you can introduce yourself in the introductions forum goodjob

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I can only report, in the interests of balance, that the now nearly three year old pair listed above are still going great - kind of dull looking now due to ground in dirt on the Neoprene and all logos etc. faded out but the neoprene still stretches and grips the calves (to the point I still need a boot jack to take them off).

Sorry to hear someone else had problems, but I guess thats probably an individual fault rather than a design flaw.

Red

mark j lang

Apr 19, 2009
stroud
Just to add to the debate. My Grubb boots also started leaking as the sole was peeling off after 6 months of not very heavy use - very dissapointed as otherwise they have been great boots very comfortable. Did not keep the receipt (my fault) so the manufacturer cold do nothing but this does not been that they would not otherwise have replaced or repaired them. My local cobbler has glued the sole back on for a fiver which I hope will sole the problem

mark lang

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well my Grubbs Stalkers finally bit the dust - the soles parted company from the uppers. Almost to the day I got six years wear out of them - and those of you who read my posts know how much outdoor work I do. So happy am I that I just ordered an identical pair for the next six years :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Lots of dog walking in mine as well as a few very cold Scotland trips and lots of muddy woods walking. Still great.
Our kid took three pairs of hunters back after constant leaks and finally bought a pair the same as mine and not looked back.

I would say they benefit from a pair of insoles for the flat footed amongst us.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I must confess I put thermal insoles in all my "pull on" boots (riggers, chainsaw boots, wellingtons). So yes, I concur - good pair of insoles really help - and a pair of those white Army "artic" socks - toasty in all considtions

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Bang on Hugh .....my Grubbs snowlines must be coming up for their first birthday.....love them :thumbup: I hope mine last as long as yours :cool:

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bang on Hugh .....my Grubbs snowlines must be coming up for their first birthday.....love them :thumbup: I hope mine last as long as yours :cool:

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I wonder sometimes how much we are led by "convention". I often think neoprene wellingtons are a better "all round" boot than leather walking boots for our climate. Walking 10 or twenty miles with dry, warm feet is no problem - and they cost half what my walking boots do - with not need for gaiters. John Kelly introduced me to them in '06 - and I will be forever grateful!

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
I have had my Muck Boots Chores for about 18 months now and love them to bits. I have had Hunters, Land Masters and numerous other rubber boots but think the neoprene ones are the way to go. I only chose Muck Boots because a mate wears his all the time as he is a real outdoors person and his wife keeps horses. He also wears them when riding his Harley which I still chuckle about but he always laughs at others when their socks are dripping after a downpour. :D

I went out with the family last weekend and had a short trek to a secluded beach. My missus was shocked I wasn't going to wear my new boots but I wanted to go searching rock pools with my daughter. I was very surprised that I never felt any discomfort on the 2 mile walk plus up and down the beach a mile each way. My feet weren't cold either even though we were wading through the sea. It probably had something to do with the lambs wool socks and thermal insoles though. Anyway, I would never get a pair of full rubber boots again. Neoprene all the way for me from now on.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
I still have my Grubs Extremes. This spring the sole of one of them loosened, but nothing that couldn`t be fixed with Aquasure. I`ve also used aquasure on several holes (from wire fences) earlier. I`m very pleased with the boots and will not hesitate to buy another pair.
As the plastic begins to crack it will probably not be very long until they will be retired.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE