Greenstone & Rock Pecking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I was going to make a celt after all these years of using a hand axe. I want to expand my primitive toolbox by rock pecking a greenstone piece, the only problem is that I cannot find any greenstone, most all limestone here. So does anyone have an alternate stone that will serve as a Celt? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Bri

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I think fine-grain basalt is the next best thing. Folk don't seem to have put the same work into polishing them as they did with greenstone though. Don't know if that's because it doesn't polish as well or if it's regional differences.
Any pics I've seen have had a similar cutting angle to greenstone, maybe just a touch more obtuse and rounded.

If it helps any, here's a couple of pics of greenstone. It comes in various grain(well-particle) sizes.

Greenstone_1.jpg

Greenstone_2.jpg

Greenstone_3.jpg

Finer material is knappable but doesn't polish up as well. The bottom-right lump is an old broken drill of really tight stuff.
Larger grained greenstone is a bit brittle and prone to endshock. Not good for an axe but folk would have known the design changes to make. The large grain material was heavily mined, so presumably was heavily used).
Weathering is present even on artifacts and faces only 1000 years old or so. Weathers to white or purple depending on particle size(purple is large). Weathering is never green ;) .

The dark medium grain greenstone polishes up to a very useful edge but I've only tried it on that one wee 1 1/2" "pocketknife".

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Any river cobble that looks like an unsharpened celt could be usable (if it meets the other requirements). Less pecking make the job easier. I don't care much for identifying different types of rock, but put more weigth on knowing the properties needed.

For a good axestone you need:

-Hardness
-Uniformity
-That it still crumbles when hit with a sharp and hard stone (as opposed to flaking)

If a stone looks hard and uniform, but that you still can see small grains in the surface texture, it is probably usable.

I wonder how well a neolithic flint axe would perform? I just dont' think I have the patience to grind flint.

Torjus Gaaren

Thanks Torjus, I just spent about 9 hors yesterday grinding a river cobble and need about 3 or 4 more to get it sharp. Its a chore but it will never rust has a lifetime guarantee and is muti-faceted. I can use this as an Adz or a celt, even a handaxe, or a boiling stone. So it is versatile for me anyhow. But I agree that lithic ID is not my strongpoint and I just wanted to make this tool for the reasons listed above. Thanks a lot! I appreciate your help...

Bri

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE