Gluing metal to leather?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I've been given a little flat metal sheep that I'd love to attach to the inside of the leather cover for my bullet journal, but I'm not sure what type of glue or similar to use? Any suggestions from this talented group? :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Depends a bit on the metal, some metals cannot be reliably glued. One component very flexible polyurethanes are one of the best candidates, made among others by Sika and 3M. Most reliable would be by stitching or riveting.

Reactions: Toddy

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Agree with flexible polyurethane glue but make sure you scuff the back of the metal to get a good bond, it needs to have some fairly deep scratches ideally so the glue has something to get a grip on, definitely don’t leave it shiny and smooth ;)

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
That is a good idea! I'll see if I can sort something out.

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Glue won't hold for long between metal & leather but other than Toddy's good idea, double sided carpet tape would be a better option than glue.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Some metals can be reliably glued, Al, some aircraft are adhesively bonded not riveted.

Leather can be glued but a lot depends on its original treatment.

The greater the difference in stiffness between the two materials the softer the glue should be.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
This is why I asked, since I've never really managed myself and always thought it would be a difficult combo. My first choice would be to hold it in place with some stitches, but that isn't always suitable.

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
When I’ve glued leather to metal I’ve used impact adhesive (Evostick), not had any issues.

Prep the metal with glass paper or a file, in all sorts of directions, as g4hb mentions above, use something fairly aggressive, you need a really good key.
Very slightly rough the reverse of the leather if smooth, then make sure it’s dust free and clean. Thoroughly degrease the metal, I normally use meths.
Follow the glue manufacturers instructions!
Make sure you get the glue right to the very edges, all round, both materials.
Clamp or weight and then leave it alone for 24hrs, sometimes I find that the hard part, curiosity has got the better of me on occasion when glueing stuff ;)

Of course if the leather thickness would allow, you could cut out the shape, glue and then inlay, a more secure finish?

Good luck and have fun!

Reactions: Toddy and SaraR

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
This is why I asked, since I've never really managed myself and always thought it would be a difficult combo. My first choice would be to hold it in place with some stitches, but that isn't always suitable.
For a more reliable fixing I think I would drill a couple of tiny holes with a dremel and sew it on. Like you would a button.

Reactions: TLM

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE