GIMP 2.6 (GNU Image Manipulation Program - in case you were wondering)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I have decided to improve my photographic skills this year.

As part of attending an evening class I have heard about GIMP. This is a free powerful software for manipulating digital photographs.

I have had a look at some You Tube tutorials and decided that whilst they are great for illustrating what can be done, I need a reference book/script to follow - preferably one with a CD that has the pictures in it used in the book/script.

A suitable one seems to be:

GIMP 2.6 for Photographers: Image Editing with Open Source Software (Paperback)

This is about £20 on Amazon -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GIMP-2-6-Ph...TF8&colid=373IB7B7DCRKT&coliid=I3GNMU7G7PMWNH

and has 7x 5* reviews.

Does anyone have any experience of this book/comments on a better one.

I am likely to be putting something like this on my Christmas/birthday list so no great urgency - just wondered what people have to say.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I don't know about the book but Gimp is a good bit of code.

I'm sort of tied into the Adobe way of doing things now. It becomes a bit of a dependence because having changed once before from PaintShop Pro to Photoshop I know how difficult it can be to change your work flow.

If I was starting from scratch though I would probably follow the Gimp route now.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I've got a GIMP book but to be honest I just look at online tutorials for most things. It's a great program, more than enough for most people (and I'd guess many professional photographers)

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
GIMP has great online support with loads of tutorials and some good ones on youtube. GIMP is very similar to Photoshop but different enough to be very frustrating when you are used to the other but an amazing application for free

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
timely question for me, i downloaded gimp just a few days ago and i have no idea whatsoever what i'm supposed to do with it. i've never had anything to do with digital photography really other than a little point and click thing, i've certainly never thought about manipulating the images at all. any advice aimed at a complete novice?

cheers

stuart

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
Layers, layer, layers, its all about layers. Look up tutorials on youtube, GIMP mainly but photoshop concepts are very similar. Start with simple things like changing exposure levels of photos and removing defects, cropping and colour adjustments. This will get you started and familiar with the features, Did I mention layers are really important? look up a tutorial on layers!

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Thanks for the comments - looks like GIMP is the way to go for a complete beginner.

Neoaliphant - I will PM you.

Depending on what I may be able to get from Neoliphant I may get a book to work through as well because - for me - it is a way I have learned stuff in the past.

Stu - if it helps here is a copy of the simpleton notes the class leader sent me when I first enquired about how to use Gimp. I haven't done all of this myself yet but for what bit I have tried it seemed reasonably clear

There is a free user manual available on line but it's not something you would choose to use when learning.
Gimp
We talk about manipulating ourimages in class. Here is the manipulation programme Gimp
Google Gimp and download (it’s free)

Tweaking the contrast
Open Gimp. Choose file/image.Click colour (from the top list). Choose Brightness / contrast. Tweak contrast.Click ok. Save as

Taking out saturation
Open Gimp. Choose file/image.Click colour (from the top list). Choose Hue/saturation. Take out saturation.Click ok. Save as

Creating an image with colourand black and white
Open image. Choose the free selecttool. Draw around area you wish to convert (try the inverse tab if area isdifficult to draw around). Select colour/saturation. Take out saturation. Clickok. Save as.

Using the cloning tool.
Choose image. Zoom in to thearea you wish to take out using the zoom tool. Select what you want to editusing the select box. Grab the clone tool. Ctrl-click what you want to clone(area of colour you want to use). Click drag what you want to erase. Save as.

Cropping an image
Open the file. Choose thecropping tool (knife icon 3[SUP]rd[/SUP]row down)
Drag arrow over image
Click on centre of area
Go to ‘View’ on the top line
Click new view in drop downlist
Save new view

Last edited:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
cheers for that chris, that's actually very useful. i'm having my usual technology problem, i simply have no idea what it's for! simpleton notes are very definately appropriate on this occasion.

all i need to do now is go away and learn another new language. apparently my photo isn't covered in annoying little red and white specks, oh no, it is in fact "noisy", whould'a thunk it?!? :dunno:

but more importantly, it's finally stopped raining, sod software, i'm off to play outside :)

cheers

stuart

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
OK ..............

neoliphant has provided links to sites that give a variety of techniques you can try with GIMP (not sure how often you'd want to add a light sabre to a picture of your set up though - but perhaps some of the knife makers might want to take their work to the next level .........)

Anyway here are the links:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fea..._you_photoshop

http://digital-photography-school.co...king-with-gimp

http://www.ephotozine.com/learn/techniques/gimp-107

There is bound to be something in there for everyone (?the light sabre??) so have a go!

One other thing I learned from my contact with neoaliphant ......

....you can use GIMP to create totally new pictures ie not just to muck about with a photograph - so skills you pick up working on your photos may well be applicable to new 'art' (darrrling)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE