Fungi bonanza

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Kata and I went for a wonder in our local woods, armed with a digi camera and set about Snapping fungi

No Idea what most of them are and ran out of time before we could get anymore pictures (We managed about 100 though)

Just thought I would share the first three off the camera with you all

(You do not truely Realise what is around you until you look!)

100_0054.jpg

100_0057.jpg

100_0051.jpg

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Had to add this one!

Check out "Ray's" favourite woodland treat just below the fungi (Yum yum)

100_0099.jpg

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
That last one is easy - it's a Fly Agaric.
Poisonous, although taken in the right quantities can be taken as a drug instead (I have no idea what the "right" quantities are and have no intention of finding out!!). And I believe viking berserkers used to take them in order to help work themselves up into a frenzy ready for battle...

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
and the first one looks like a hypholoma of some sort, but on that I'm not certain. It would be easier to ID your end I think.

Conifer Tuft

Sulphur Tuft

The last photo, as already said - is Fly agaric, but I'm not sure about it's companion (Or had you not seen that one ;) )

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Marts said:
and the first one looks like a hypholoma of some sort, but on that I'm not certain. It would be easier to ID your end I think.

Conifer Tuft

Sulphur Tuft

The last photo, as already said - is Fly agaric, but I'm not sure about it's companion (Or had you not seen that one ;) )

Of course I noticed the tiny one befor you mentioned it! ;)

This one has to be the most strange! and Tiny!

100_0083.jpg

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Just in front of the fly agaric is some wood sorrel, very tasty and good in salads, though dont eat too many.............

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Had a look in my fungi book, Collins Mushrooms and Toadstools of Britain and Europe, and it looks like Calocera viscosa, or Jelly Antler Fungus, to me. Strangely enough, the book deems this particular fungi to be poisonous, but then goes on to say, and I quote, "although its tough flesh is tasteless and indigestable, it rarely seems to lead to gastric complaints".

Would this be because a dead person can't complain?!! Make your mind up, book, is it poisonous or not!!! :rolleyes:

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
kata said:
anybody know what this is please?
Hi kata,

It is one of the Clavulinopsis species most probably Yellow Club (Clavulinopsis helvola). Check out the link to Roger Phillips excellent web site for details of this and the other related club and coral fungi.

Whether edible or not fungi really are wonder things and it is amazing the variety of shapes and colours you find even in the darkest pine forest.

kata

Jun 7, 2005
lincolnshire
Thanks for all your help guys, and moonraker you are right, they are wonderful things. I will be out again this weekend with the camera :)

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Welcome back Moonraker. Haven't seen you around for a while. Every time a fungi ID thread pops up I sit back waiting for you to answer :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE