Fun Deerskin Pouch! (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi Everyone!

I have been so busy that my leatherworking skills went to seed. So I made a deerskin pouch for some much needed practice.

I wanted to try something different from the normal pouches I make for gathering wild edibles. This one is more decorative:

0-BagHeaderI.jpg

For me, a deerskin pouch fills the role of a nylon stuff sack – But with more pizzazz! :)

I can’t explain it, but using a deerskin pouch in the backcounty enhances my nature experience. And it doesn’t matter that I tote it around in a modern nylon pack.

Deerskin pouches are very utilitarian and weigh next to nothing. So there is no penalty for always keeping one in my daypack.

Here are a couple more pictures:

23-BeautyShotI_5479.jpg

24-BeautyBack.jpg

The pouch in its natural habitat:

25-Beauty.jpg

It is very easy to make your own pouch! You can do it with a minimum of tools and (to be honest) a minimal amount of skill.

To that end, I placed a step-by-step tutorial online for people who would like to make one for themselves (tutorial). You can make a basic pouch in 5 easy steps. If you add some optional steps you end up with a unique and very fancy pouch that expresses your personality.

Here is a picture of the two pouches in the tutorial. I carried the basic pouch, shown, in my backpack every day for 5 years.

27-BothBagsForest.jpg

If you do follow my instructions, please let me know how it turns out. Also let me know if any of the directions are unclear.

If you carry a deerskin pouch in your kit, I would love to see a picture of it!

Regards,

- Woodsorrel

Looks good mate. I've been hunting rabbits …………...need to tan some hides and make a rabbitskin pouch. maybe you could make a bigger pouch next time...

Hi ayylmao! Do you have any pictures of rabbit skin pouches? I have never seen one. Is the leather similar to deerskin?

I definitely think my next pouch will be larger. If I am going to do all that stitching anyway, I might as well end up with something big. :)

It may be fun if forum members make a small pouch and decorate it. It would be interesting to see how everyone's turns out. People could also describe how they use it and we might get some new ideas.

- Woodsorrel

Last edited by a moderator:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've never seen any legislation that says anything about catapults. So in my view there is no law banning it, but that does not mean you couldn't be prosecuted under other legislation if circumstances warranted it. Hunting with bows is however specifically prohibited under the WCA.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I've never seen any legislation that says anything about catapults. So in my view there is no law banning it, but that does not mean you couldn't be prosecuted under other legislation if circumstances warranted it. Hunting with bows is however specifically prohibited under the WCA.
Not disputing that, just pointing out the odd discrepancies. Not sure if there are different rules for vermin either given you are allowed to trap them. Although rabbit are classed as game

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There are many discrepancies and regional differences too. We just need to learn the laws specific to our location. We can debate the logic of them, but that's a matter for politicians to address.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Not disputing that, just pointing out the odd discrepancies. Not sure if there are different rules for vermin either given you are allowed to trap them. Although rabbit are classed as game

I didn't think Rabbit was classified as game - I've always thought of it as vermin and never been corrected around this way........

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The term vermin doesn't have a legal meaning really. There is no closed season for rabbit nor are there calibre restrictions both unlike deer. As regards taking any animal without permission, it is always theft, potentially a whole raft of other offences such as armed trespass.

ayylmao

Banned
Sep 13, 2014
sussex
Hi ayylmao! Do you have any pictures of rabbit skin pouches? I have never seen one. Is the leather similar to deerskin?

I definitely think my next pouch will be larger. If I am going to do all that stitching anyway, I might as well end up with something big. :)

It may be fun if forum members make a small pouch and decorate it. It would be interesting to see how everyone's turns out. People could also describe how they use it and we might get some new ideas.

- Woodsorrel

i don't have a camera or phone so i can't take pictures. Their skins are much thinner, very thin on young rabbits, thicker on old rabbits. Your idea for a pouch for forum members is very good :D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I don't want to make a huge deal about it and get banned, but laws are stupid when it comes to nature. I won't let laws made by politicians in the city stop me from doing what my ancestors have been doing for thousands of years. I only hunt rabbit and grey squirrel, both introduced species
Best not to post such things at all. Leaving aside the common sense aspect of written admissions of crimes, the forum has very clear rules about posts discussing criminal behaviour.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have edited this thread, and apologise to those members who have had their posts 'cropped' a bit. I couldn't see any other way to tidy out the illegal claim without totally wiping out the thread and it's information.
It was tempting to strip it all out and put it into a new thread instead, but I'd still have needed to deal with the illegal bit.

Your understanding would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Mary

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE