FOR FUN: God Vs Grass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
God and Grass - Isn't THIS the truth!

GOD:
Frank, you know all about gardens and nature. What in the world is going on down there on the planet? What happened to the dandelions, violets, thistle and stuff I started eons ago? I had a perfect no-maintenance garden plan. Those plants grow in any type of soil, withstand drought and multiply with abandon. The nectar from the long-lasting blossoms attracts butterflies, honey bees and flocks of songbirds. I expected to see a vast garden of colours by now. But, all I see are these green rectangles.

ST. FRANCIS:
It's the tribes that settled there, Lord. The Suburbanites. They started calling your flowers "weeds" and went to great lengths to kill them and replace them with grass.

GOD :
Grass? But, it's so boring. It's not colourful. It doesn't attract butterflies, birds and bees; only grubs and sod worms. It's sensitive to temperatures. Do these Suburbanites really want all that grass growing there?

ST. FRANCIS :
Apparently so, Lord. They go to great pains to grow it and keep it green. They begin each spring by fertilizing grass and poisoning any other plant that crops up in the lawn.

GOD:
The spring rains and warm weather probably make grass grow really fast. That must make the Suburbanites happy.

ST. FRANCIS :
Apparently not, Lord. As soon as it grows a little, they cut it - sometimes twice a week.

GOD :
They cut it? Do they then bale it like hay?

ST. FRANCIS:
Not exactly, Lord. Most of them rake it up and put it in bags.

GOD:
They bag it? Why? Is it a cash crop? Do they sell it?

ST. FRANCIS :
No, Sir, just the opposite. They pay to throw it away.

GOD :
Now, let me get this straight. They fertilize grass so it will grow. And, when it does grow, they cut it off and pay to throw it away?

ST. FRANCIS :
Yes, Sir.

GOD :
These Suburbanites must be relieved in the summer when we cut back on the rain and turn up the heat. That surely slows the growth and saves them a lot of work.

ST. FRANCIS:
You aren't going to believe this, Lord. When the grass stops growing so fast, they drag out hoses and pay more money to water it, so they can continue to mow it and pay to get rid of it.

GOD:
What nonsense. At least they kept some of the trees. That was a sheer stroke of genius, if I do say so myself. The trees grow leaves in the spring to provide beauty and shade in the summer. In the autumn, they fall to the ground and form a natural blanket to keep moisture in the soil and protect the trees and bushes. It's a natural cycle of life.

ST. FRANCIS :
You better sit down, Lord. The Suburbanites have drawn a new circle. As soon as the leaves fall, they rake them into great piles and pay to have them hauled away.

GOD :
No! What do they do to protect the shrub and tree roots in the winter to keep the soil moist and loose?

ST. FRANCIS :
After throwing away the leaves, they go out and buy something which they call mulch. They haul it home and spread it around in place of the leaves.

GOD:
And where do they get this mulch?

ST. FRANCIS :
They cut down trees and grind them up to make the mulch.

GOD :
Enough! I don't want to think about this anymore.

St. Catherine, you're in charge of the arts. What movie have you scheduled for us tonight?

ST. CATHERINE:
"Dumb and Dumber", Lord. It's a story about....

GOD:
Never mind, I think I just heard the whole story from St. Francis.

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
Biodiversity means spreading the seeds as well. When you eat fruit, save the seeds and throw them around when you're in the fields or woods - that's all mum nature wants you to do - she'll handle the rest.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I like the idea of scattering seeds. I was at Wentworth Castle earlier on to take a look at the deer and have a nice walk, I even saw a hare. What really grabbed my attention was the yew tree laden with red berries, so I munched on the fruits and spat the poisonous seeds out all over the place! I got some funny looks, but I'm getting used to that by now! They tasted a lot better than the yew berries I had from another tree at the weekend. If one of those seeds takes root, then that would be a good thing!

Stryker

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2008
Durham
That was really good, made me smile. I used to be fanatical about weeding my lawn but now let my son's guineas pigs do most of the hard work.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm a weed, I'm a weed, one of the old untameable breed,
I never came out of a packet of seed,
No one keeps my pedigree filed,
I am wild, I am wild,

The poem goes on but ends,

Widely I sow my prodical seeds,
Sun, wind and rain will suffice for their needs,

I won't beg for mercy and I won't ask for pardon,
But when you're all dead I'll take over the garden,

Kind of liked that one :D

cheers,
Toddy

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Love it ! I never mow my lawn, I don't own a lawnmower. I let anything grow in my garden that wants to grow there. I grew up the country and now live in a town. It's my little oasis.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE