Food Dehydrator

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Does anyone use it for dehydrating food whilst they're out and about?

If you go somewhere where there is no river or stream, how do you go about rationing the water for rehydrating food?

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
I personally only dehydrate food i'm happy to eat in that state. e.g dried fruit, fruit leather, jerky. Last thing you'd want is to fill your bag with food only to find you can't justify the water required to happily consume it.

However i imagine you'd go about rationing it in the same way you would if you were planning to make, say a stew, when out and about. Keep one flask for drinking, one for cooking. Does add extra weight and bulk though (which i guess you could argue is offset by decreased weight and bulk of dried food vs fresh)

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Precisely, Hugh.

When I started bushwalking in WA, nobody used dehydrated food. We were walking in areas that lacked potable water, so it all had to be carried. Tinned food stops looking quite so heavy in those conditions.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Yeah I'm a fan for multi day hikes. Never had to much issue finding somesort of water source (disclaimer I've purified some rank water in my time). If it's a fixed camp with no water source i think I'd just cook stuff from fresh. Anyway there a good thing to have even if you only make Jerky with them. Had a lot of my questions answered in this thread...

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108379

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE