Food and Emergency Food

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi guys,
just reading the Book "Food and Emergency Food in the circumpolar area".
by Kerstin Eidlitz

I was surprised to read that people where eating the Larvae of the reindeer fly and reindeer droppings, they are supposed to have nutritional value.....
(snip)....Similarly, the people who ate reindeer droppings and the contents of ptarmigan entrails presumably obtained a supply of vitamin B 12....(snip) quote end.

One can use them too dried and mixed into bread.... LOL so watch out guys if I offer you a home made bread when you come up here. :D I like to test new stuff on other people before I try them myself. :eek: :p

cheers
Abbe

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
:eek: :yuck:

Not for me thanks.I am not at all fussy about my food but I draw the line at that.

Mind you,if that was all there was,I would manage to eat it. :rolleyes:

Have fun experimenting Abbe. :cool:

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
jdlenton said:
sounds delicious Abbe:yuck:
arctic choc chip bread could be a big seller:eek:

James

yes, I could make some money finally! Collecting them, drying and fitting them in a nice paper bag. Maybe a own logo with a reindeerhead too.

Would you buy it from me, I put some up on my webpage then!? :D :D
Cheep to get too, we have hundereds of reindeers around my area!

ahh, yes a cool sticker saying 100 percent natural // no artifical content //
natural vitamin 12 !!!

cheers
Abbe

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Go for it Abbe i wouldn't be one of your customers but there are people on the net who would buy it from you:lmao:

I'll design your logo if you want :)

James

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Abbe Osram said:
yes, I could make some money finally! Collecting them, drying and fitting them in a nice paper bag. Maybe a own logo with a reindeerhead too.

Would you buy it from me, I put some up on my webpage then! :D :D
Cheep to get too, we have hundereds of reindeers around my area!

cheers
Abbe

Reindeer head. ? :rolleyes: :D

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Abbe Osram said:
moss, you can prepare and eat, thats no big deal but it is just that what you would not like to eat......I was surprised but cool to learn.

//Abbe

Yeah, apparently the Telemark guys lived on it for months... Supposedly it's better if you take from inside a reindeers stomach though. :yuck:

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I know s**t about reindeer s**t but what could there be in it that an omnivore with a shortish (by comparison) intestine could digest that a herbivore was unable to ??

The fly larvae make perfect sense. POWs are advised to eat maggots for protein and vitamins.

In a couple of months I'm going to try the wichetty and bardygrubs of the outback staple fare for the aborigines. Good stuff I hear :D

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Wayne said:
Abbe is that book in english?

sounds an interesting read.

Yes, it exist in both english and swedish. If I am not mistaken then the woman was writing her doctor thesis in Uppsala Sweden, the book got translated into english.
I bought my book from a swedish antiquariat in Uppsala online, payed and send via internet. Should work for you too.

BUT

search the net for the best price before buying. Later I saw some very shocking price differences. Ranging from 30 dollars to over a 100 dollars so watch out and get the best price!!!

cheers
Abbe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE