Fomes fomentarius

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

bushyboo

pm sent fred
again this site has surprised me its not just the info that that comes for free
many thanks

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Glad all the Fomes arrived safely. If you want more in the future you can always PM me and I'll see what I can do. Quite a lot of it about here. ;)

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have some horse hoof fungus which i am going to prepare soon but i see you need to boil then up for about 24 hours would you do this on the cooker or on a fire ?
leon

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Leon,
Whichever way you do it is going to use a lot of fuel. I know I would have to do it outside, likely to be smelly, so perhaps a small fire. Again you would have to be there to keep it going. I wonder if you could speed things up with a pressure cooker. Does anyone know? :rolleyes:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Do it outside for gods sake!! If you have a wife, she'll kill you if you do it indoors, and I don't think your mum would be too chuffed with the smell Leon!!

I only boiled mine for three or four hours, and then again the same after I pounded hell out of it. When it dried it wasn't much good, and it has been sat in my cellar for ages. I went down last week and found it again, I gave it a try and it was really soft and caught well in my fire piston.

I'm gonna find some more and give it another try this weekend, maybe put a bit of ash in with the fungus. I'll tell you how I get on!

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
I managed some passable stuff after half an hour in the microwave (when SWMBO was out :lmao: ) , managed to get it to smoulder with a firesteel but haven't tried again in ages.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE