Fiskars 14" hatchet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kevm65

Jan 26, 2010
Germany
Bough one too and was very impressed, however i did need to get used to using it, after swiping it against a branch for the first time, it went through so easaly and nearly cut into my leg

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Yeh Kevm65 I've learned to be acutely aware of where any body parts are in relation to my axe swing.

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
I have one I bought in Florida about 10 years ago with the canvas sheath. Use it all the time. Was at work the other day cutting a bush that was growing on top of a wall and was trying to remove the root ball to repair the stone work. We have an older gent who does the grounds who picked up the my axe and started to use it. He said he couldnt believe how sharp it was. Then he started choping away at the root ball, stone and morter. I stood there in compleat disbelief. Oh well need to sharpen it now.

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
Nice one Mark, We'll have to sort out a leather cover for that, for you;)

cheers

Steve

Leather case sounds good - I'll sort that out when I see you next:)

With my current expertise I think I'd be missing a thumb after a couple of seconds if I tried chopping kindling like the video! Like you say - practice!

It seems a fair piece of kit for the money. It's not a GB but the Fiskars get universally good reviews considering the geometry.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have a Gerber branded version and use it mainly for splitting kindling at home..the wide profile makes it great for this!
Although it is capable of taking a realy good edge I have found the Gerber is not a patch on the GFB SFA for actually cutting wood.
I also prefer the feel of real wood over a synthetic handle.
The one big advantage of the Gerber is its price - a great tool for the money!
I am very lucky to own more than a few (!) axes, and the Gerber gets used more than several of them ever are...

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
That's shocking service from Fiskars UK :(

This size axe is known as a "retki kirves", literally "trip/trek axe". The material cover suits it much better IMO. I had check on the Finnish Fiskars site to see if they sold the covers separately, but they don't seem to :(

But in 30 years, when you need another, you can order from the link I posted above, they deliver to the UK and have lots of good quality products. If you spend over 100€ in one go, you become a VIP customer, which means everything is -10% for the next 12 months.

(I'm not linked to the company, just had good service from them).
i happened to see this thread,and i think i know where to get separate sheaths for fiskars axes,here in finland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE