First Time Paracord Bracelet : Ran Into A Couple Problems

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hello everybody!

I did my very first paracord bracelet last night, using the fishtail design. I do not think I did "too" bad for my first attempt but a couple issue rose up that I would like help with in order to improve.

I tried to keep it real tight throughout the whole evolution but I noticed that parts of the cord would bulge out a little bit and it is a bit uneven. Not really strait and seamless as it should be. I have uploaded a couple photos for you guys to see, and more understand what I am describing.

Anything else you see wrong or what I can do to improve, please let me know. I had a lot of fun with this last night and plan on doing more. I just want to get set on the right path. I think I used a slightly bigger plastic clasp then I should have, but the little ones seemed that they would be too small. I'll try one tonight though.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

thumbnail_IMG_0633.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0634.jpg

sorry for the triple post, i think i got it now :)

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
I've not tried that particular design but the bulging may be down to the movement on the inner cores to the outer sheath but you will also find that while you try to keep a consistent tension it's actually harder than you think. Rather than buy a made jig I just use screws in a bit of wood but a jig gives you the third hand you need for a consistent tension.
It may be easier to keep a steady tension but not too tight and then tension working the cord through after rather than pulling too tight at once. With the standard cobra weave I ended up with friction blisters after making about 40 for my scout group's district camp.
Can be a therapeutic hobby, keep it up.

Kitharode

Forager
May 16, 2016
Todmorden
I've just started to get into paracord ties and I can tell you that, like most things, it gets easier the more you practice. I agree with awarner's idea of aiming to keep the tie consistent without being over-tight. The clasps in your photos look like the ones I use (when I use them). It can be a bit tricky getting started with clasps and it's not that easy to get the bracelet exactly right, lengthwise - don't you think? To speed up my tying practice, save a bit of messing about time, and still get a useful bracelet, I've started tying over a circular elastic band (hair band) which makes a 'one size fits all' bracelet.

You've made a good start, I reckon. Stick with it. Cheers.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Try something like a cobra weave. Seems easier to get a more consistant result. Youtube/Google making paracord jigs. There are so many easy ways it's really not that difficult.

Your bracelet may settle down a bit once it's worn a few times.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE