first aid

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
hi to all quick question does anyone know anything about first responder?
i live in a village near sherwood forest and if you call the ambulance it can take along time to appear and those vital mins are lost with the training i have had and with other training i wouldnt mind maybe takeing it further in our community aswell all of the outside stuff i do but
i dont know much about the scheme? does anyone on hear partake or know more info?
thanks for the replys in advance

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
I'm trying to find out that information myself

Sent St Johns Ambulance an e-mail and they've replied with a phone number for my district office

I'll keep you informed

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I'm still having fun with the paperwork for St Johns. The local HQ burned down which caused a few problem.
If St Johns are involved be prepared for a lot of paperwork!!

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Rob said:
Someone I know in Somerset acts as some kind of First Responder to any ambulance call in his local area.

Usually means he is first at the scene. I will ask him who is organising it there.
Yes, I hear you can get put on a list of people to call when people dial 999 - like the RNLI are, although they are obviously non-governmental. In Sidmouth we have our own lifeboat (the town decided the nearest RNLI station was too far and a volunteer appeal got us a private one), and I think that's on the 999 list too. There was a bloke I knew in London called Rob Maydrew who used to be a bicycle paramedic, and he was private. Don't know if he still does it.

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
Rob said:
Someone I know in Somerset acts as some kind of First Responder to any ambulance call in his local area.

Usually means he is first at the scene. I will ask him who is organising it there.
yes this is the scheme that i have heard about as i live in a large rural area wonderd if this was the way to go (trying to find out more) North nottingham is the area ?

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Have heard rumours about this but nothing official. As far as I am aware it is for response to mainly heart attack victims, the first responder is trained on and issued with a defibrilator, and is phoned/paged to go to an address after a 999 to mainly use the machine till Ambulance service arrive. The idea behind it is that a couple of minutes faster response time in that situation saves lives. It is not to replace Ambulance personell but to quicken the first response time. I believe the fire strikes were in part to do with Fire crews being asked to do this role, as some fire fighters are already trained in the use of the equipment, they argued that it would remove them from being on call for their own job.
It is something that has not really been publicised for some reason,if I were not aware of the scheme, I would be a bit wary if a solicitor or postman turned up after I called an ambulance!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE