Finnish Mossie Treatment, Nail Polish!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
My good lady has just returned from 10 days in central Finland. While there, she was devoured by mossies. One of the locals said that a good remedy to ease the swelling and itching was clear nail polish.
This is a totally new one on me, anybody else hard of this and does it work?

Cheers

Bagins

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Yup, works well for me :approve: , I first tried it in desperation after getting royally munched on by chiggers a few years back.

The relief comes from creating a barrier between the affected area and air.

Unless you want to look like the victim of an alien pox use clear nail varnish :D .

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
it sort of works for me, it stops the itching but then the bites always get infected and swell up, whereas if i don't use nail varnish they all itch but only about half of them get infected and swell up. so it's kinda swings and roundabouts really.

i mainly get bites on my feet and find that using ashes from the fire works well for those, i just kick the ashes about a bit and rub my feet together so that they get a real good coating of ash, whether it's the heat of the fire or something chemical happening i don't know.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Dont you think antihistamines would be better,, designed for the job ,,,,rather than painting yourself with nail polish

Jason

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
it sort of works for me, it stops the itching but then the bites always get infected and swell up, whereas if i don't use nail varnish they all itch but only about half of them get infected and swell up. so it's kinda swings and roundabouts really.

i mainly get bites on my feet and find that using ashes from the fire works well for those, i just kick the ashes about a bit and rub my feet together so that they get a real good coating of ash, whether it's the heat of the fire or something chemical happening i don't know.

Have been experimenting over the past few weeks with various concoctions. Unluckily for me I have lots of bits to test :(
Tried the clear nail polish and as above it did stop the itching a little BUT there was more swelling and more signs of light infection. Also doesnt help if you are as hairy as me lol.
Antihistimine tablets do help no end.
Savalon works well and seems to calm the inflamation.
AH cream also works well.
Cannot comment on Marys ibuprofen as i am so full of AH its hard to judge.
Also fucindin seems to help stop the infection rate too, as it should i suppose.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE