edible plants and fungi and their poisonous doppelganger (book suggestions)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

whale_omelette

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2010
north
I was wondering if there are any guide books that list the poisonous look a likes in the discriptions, so I can double check and build up a mental database of plants that should be avoided.
hemlock and sweet cicely for example.

I have seen food for free but from the previews it doesn't seem to mention look a likes.
thanks!

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
The Collins Gem Mushrooms book lists similar species under each item. Just remember, at least with mushrooms, it is good to compare at least a couple of books before believing!! I always have at least two with me and more left at home to check when I get back. Food for free doesn't mention look a likes, but it is a good book to have with you.

whale_omelette

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2010
north
I don't think I'd ever eat a mushroom I found myself to be honest... but I'd like to try and identify them. Hats off to those more knowledgeable and brave like yourself!
Thanks for the suggestion, i'll have a look on amazon.

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
You need to be confident, and to be honest I would never pick and eat after finding one for the first time, with these things you have to be 100% sure. Even John Wright (Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's mate) said he waited decades before being sure about one particular mushroom and picking and eating it.

Always better to be safe than sorry with anything you pick in the wild. But mushrooms really do fascinate me, even the poisonous ones!!

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
I have found Collins Nature Guides Mushrooms And Toadstools Of Britain & Europe by Edmund Garnweidner very useful, it has good photos to help ID. Its not too big to carry in the field. Its always worth trawling the charity shops for books. I like to find fungi but I would not eat one as I am too scared of getting it wrong.

Billy1

Forager
Dec 31, 2012
Norwich
I'd also be interested in a book like this, a couple of people mentioned books for mushrooms, are there any for plants that mention the poisonous look-alikes?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE