"Echinococcus multilocularis" a worm that can kill you!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

directdrive

Forager
Oct 22, 2005
USA
Hi, Abbe: Sorry to hear about this damned worm you fellows have up there. The fact of the matter is that there will always be some bad-assed "thing" that can eat you up or make you sick. Down where I live, we fish a lot and have to constantly be on the look-out for the symptoms of certain things that can kill us. For instance, there is a bacteria called microbacterium marinum that lives on the teeth and sharp fins of fish. Should you be bitten or stuck, you can easily get sick from that bacteria. A worse one is called "Vibrio" . It is found in warm, salt water areas and can be on fish, shellfish, rocks or anywhere. If you are cut by something that has vibrio on it, it can kill you within 24 hours. We have people on the gulf coast who die from it every year. We also have parasitic worms down here in land and sea animals. Some can make you sick, others can kill. A close friend of mine nearly went blind after contracting some parasite from a buck deer he was cleaning. He still does not see well and suffered permanent eye damage. Just have to be careful, cook your food well and make sure you don't come into contact with the organisms that are harmful. You have to do this where ever you are. Frankly, I'd always thought you didn't need to worry when in the far north due to the cold.......Good Luck and wash them berries. Surely you could soak the berries in vodka long enough to kill the nasty stuff though that would be a horrible waste of good vodka.......:)......Bruce

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
A waste called liqueur, Bruce. hehe

Well, I hope the cold kills it, from what I understood it was in Southern-Sweden, which is much warmer than where I usually pick berries.

Eitherway, it probably will use a century or more to the mountains of Norway. Or?......

Torjus Gaaren

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
torjusg said:
A waste called liqueur, Bruce. hehe

Well, I hope the cold kills it, from what I understood it was in Southern-Sweden, which is much warmer than where I usually pick berries.

Eitherway, it probably will use a century or more to the mountains of Norway. Or?......

Torjus Gaaren

The cold doesn’t help to kill it has to be in minus 80 degrees Celsius for quite a while. Why it will spread out faster than a century ago has to do with the fact that we travel more, the English cannel, the bridges to Sweden where not there before. Most of the European countries closed their customs; there is now a free travel and trade going on. I remember the time when I could not bring my dog into Sweden from Finland. He would have been 3 month in customs for observation and de-masking. With the dog business going strong I believe it will be soon you guys will have it too in Norway.

Anyhow I think I did my best to share the news with you. Now it’s up to the individual how he will react. I personally like to know and if you guys hear about such stuff please tell me.

My last words on the subject: Worms! ;-)

Cheers
Abbe

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
thanks for the heads up on this one
still as all these little buggers seem to always find a way through i will not lose sleep
the example i give for this was at the recent wilderness weekend , my mate i went with is an outdoor instructor and he kept laughing at how anal i was being with camp hiygiene,now i am not normally this way i was just putting what i knew into practice , now my mates hiygiene habits were a little lapsed at times but on the way home it was me who had to stop the camper sudenly jump out the thing into the nearest bush .
yes my mate wet himself laughing

Rhianwen

Dec 7, 2005
East riding of Yorkshire
Beer Monster said:
Never heard of this worm before. The only one similar to it that i've heard of in the UK is Toxocara canis. The one that the press occasionally bring up as it has a reputation for making children go blind if they play with dog poo.

I believe that it can also cause severe problems for women who are pregnant if it's contracted then. I think, though I may be wrong on this, cats are mainly responsible for the spread of this. As has been said though, wash everything thoroughly before eating, and of course, don't play with animal poo :rolleyes: :D

Rhi x

D

DOC-CANADA

Povarian said:
When foraging for berries, the rule used by me and mine is to not eat the waz-berries. Waz-berries are those below waist level which have a chance of having been wazzed (wee ed) on by animals or people. We've never found any shortage (in season) above this height when foraging.

Over here, we have a similar label and it is APL and BPL which stands for ABOVE **** LEVEL and BELOW **** LEVEL. I apologize if this comes off as vulgar but this is a quote.

D

DOC-CANADA

Hey Abbe;

I don't know if you have Raccoons (Procyon lotor) where you live, but if so, check out Baylisascaris procyonis.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
DOC-CANADA said:
Hey Abbe;

I don't know if you have Raccoons (Procyon lotor) where you live, but if so, check out Baylisascaris procyonis.

Raccoons we dont have but we got now for some years ago a new animal it looks like this and is called a "Mårdhund" in swedish, dont know what it is in english.
We are allowed to shoot it at all season without a break to push it back, it has no roots in our woods and is a real pest. It has a great fur so! :D

JCSNyctereutesprocyonoides23693.jpg

cheers
Abbe

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
DOC-CANADA said:
Hey Abbe;

There was a fairly notorious case of that back in the early 80s IIRC, where some kids in Pennsylvania died. At that time I was working as a volunteer at a local nature center and we were getting a lot of raccoons for rehab. We always took them immediately to the vet for testing.

Here's a CDC link for more info.

CDC

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE