Early Fruit & Nuts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
There’s been a lot of talk about the effect of the hot April this year. Unfortunately, I missed it (deployed elsewhere) but I’m certainly seeing the effects.

Out walking the dog in the forest where we live (Germany, Rheinland-Pfalz) today and finally got round to taking some pictures of what I have been seeing for the last couple of weeks:

Blackberries – they’re young and sweet – delicious already. Wouldn’t expect to see these in this state until late-August or early-September.

6274or4.jpg

Sloes (blackthorn) are already a reasonable size, with that dusty coating. They look like they could be ready in a month.

68id0k1.jpg

And, finally, hazelnuts! Again, I think these are only a month away from ripening.

645kyfd.jpg

So, I think that in terms of fruit and nuts, we are already 1 to 2 months early. What’s it like in the UK?

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Tis the same here, everything seems to be early, the cherrys on next doors tree are nearly all gone now... Wondering if this weather will affect the growing season though, the grass has certainly slowed down and doesnt need cutting much at the mo...

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Yup, our hazelnuts are coming on a treat, not quite as far gone as yours though. I'm looking at beech nuts at the moment too. I've never tried them, and the husks are green at the moment. I reckon in a few months if that, they should be ready. Anybody got a good idea of what the husk should look like when they are good to eat? Should it be uniformallly brown, or still green?

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
And from what I know about mushrooms which isn't a great deal :( we could be in for a bumper mushroom year because of the warm and wet weather.................. Any mushroom experts can confirm that?

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
For those of us that lucky enough to live near an up land moor, we picked bilberries yesterday. Thats about 3 weeks early and they were as large as american blueberries. Massive crop. :D .

Mushrooms are cropping very early, I can't say if the season will be as big as last year.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have already had my fill of cherries and missed a few giant puff balls by only a slug or two :( Still yet to learn the other seasons early delights :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE