Does anyone use a Wok on the fire?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
In the everlasting search for a perfect cookset I have been been beset by disappointment. Pots and pans are either too tall, too wide, too deep, too small, too messy, too crazy and typically are best matched with a particular meal and a particular stove. I have long wanted to pack a cast iron, but as you know: too heavy. But I've always thought that a carbon steel wok would work perfectly. It would sit directly on a the fire, be non-stick once it's been seasoned, and can cook anything. But packing it might be crazy.

Does anyone use one? Any thoughts, reviews?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I use one. Not if I have to carry it far, but I have bought a cheapy poundstore really light weight one to try for that.

The wok is a brilliant one pot cooking pot. It not only is good for stir fries, curries and chillies, but it can be used to steam food, and to bake flat breads like nan against the side of it too.
The modern really lightweight spun aluminium lids are excellent and worth acquiring.
It's also pretty good for chestnuts and real popcorn :D

M

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Often think of taking one, always on the look out for 'the one' small enough but big, if you know what I mean :)

That's true isn't it? A wok needs to be fairly big to properly stir fry even a small amount. I do love them at home though.

I use one. Not if I have to carry it far, but I have bought a cheapy poundstore really light weight one to try for that.

The wok is a brilliant one pot cooking pot. It not only is good for stir fries, curries and chillies, but it can be used to steam food, and to bake flat breads like nan against the side of it too.
The modern really lightweight spun aluminium lids are excellent and worth acquiring.
It's also pretty good for chestnuts and real popcorn :D

M

Plus 1 about the lids. I've done the popcorn and the veg steaming but I haven't tried the bread trick yet! Thanks for the tip!

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I might be looking at this wrong, a normal sized one packed at the top of my bag under the top flap, like a turtle shell, it's not going to take up room as the kit under it will be in it so to speak, the handle is the only thing, hmmmmm, thinking now :) like the idea of breads in it as well :D

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I might be looking at this wrong, a normal sized one packed at the top of my bag under the top flap, like a turtle shell, it's not going to take up room as the kit under it will be in it so to speak, the handle is the only thing, hmmmmm, thinking now :) like the idea of breads in it as well :D

What about one like this?

51OGj7WFCsL.jpg

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm mostly of the same mind as you on that. I've wondered about drilling out the rivets holding on the handle and replacing them with screws & nuts so it could be dismantled for packing?

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Wilko do (or used to do) a pressed steel 8" wok which was a handy little thing. I imagine it would be ok over the fire - it worked well with a Trangia type stove...

attachment.php

The handle is removeable by unscrewing the ring at the end.

Attachments

• WokBrekky.jpg
    WokBrekky.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE