Dehydrator Jerky

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I got a westfalia dehydrator and have just taken out my first batch of jerky! (even my girls like it! - not sure if that is a pro or a con though! :rolleyes: )

Was supprised how quick it was - 5 hrs all told! :D - MUCH quicker than the oven and it went in dripping with marinade... mmmm worchester sauce, pepper, mustard and balsamic vinager, my favs

If you were in two minds re getting one then i'd say take the plunge! - now to find some fruit n veg to go with the meat! :lmao:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Good fun huh?

I've got five trays of fruit leathers on the go right now since I've got a real glut in the garden right now. Two rhubarb, two gooseberry, one raspberry. House smells great!

Red

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Good fun huh?

I've got five trays of fruit leathers on the go right now since I've got a real glut in the garden right now. Two rhubarb, two gooseberry, one raspberry. House smells great!

Red

How are you producing them Red? Boiled and laid out on alu foil?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No worries Phil,

Marts, I use a blender for soft fruit (and some honey as a binder). Harder fruit I soften briefly in a pan and then blend. I use microwavable cling film rather than foil.

Would a tutorial help?

Red

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
No worries Phil,

Marts, I use a blender for soft fruit (and some honey as a binder). Harder fruit I soften briefly in a pan and then blend. I use microwavable cling film rather than foil.

Would a tutorial help?

Red

Silly question Red! - esp as you knew the answer!!:lmao:

You know how tutorial hungry we all are on here! ;)

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Cheers for doing this thread Red, I had to find it again as I am about to do my second batch of jerky....First batch went mouldy. I stored it in a plastic bag....:rolleyes:
I put about 1/3rd a jar of tobasco in this one.....Just let that bacteria try and get at that....:D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Damn! Didn't think of tabasco! Do you reckon it may be too late to bung some in the ziploc bag? :rolleyes: I'll use it next time!

It's in the fridge as we speak, one done with soy sauce and chilli's, some salt and pepper. Second batch is Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper so that the kids can try without blowing their heads off! Wife has made one with what looks like tomato sauce! They'll go in the dehydrator tomorrow, I can't wait!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE