Customs/tax?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Great egret

Apr 17, 2017
Netherlands
I have a couple of knives i'd like to send to the UK, but am worried that the receiver will have to pay customs/tax for them.
Is there anyone who has send a knife TO the UK in 2022, and if so, did the receiver have to pay customs/tax?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Why would you ask only for responses from people outside the UK? Surely the people who will know most about tax and duty paid are those in the UK who had things shipped to them? You are assuming that anyone who shipped to the UK shipped to someone who bothered to tell them that they had to pay tax.
I have had stuff shipped to me and have paid tax to the courier when required, but I have not felt any need to tell the shipper about it.

There does seem to be a loophole that if you sell your own items to someone in the UK, not as a business, so you are not going to register for UKVAT, and the are under £135 value….

If the goods are marked as over £135 the odds are the recipient will pay VAT. Although the rule says the VAT is charged on the shipping too, I have not experienced this on my orders.

Reactions: Great egret

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I recieved a gift from London and had to pay tax for it in Berlin. And it was even an old continental product, an Austrian military surplus jacket.

Incredible but true!

Great egret

Apr 17, 2017
Netherlands
Why would you ask only for responses from people outside the UK? Surely the people who will know most about tax and duty paid are those in the UK who had things shipped to them? You are assuming that anyone who shipped to the UK shipped to someone who bothered to tell them that they had to pay tax.
I have had stuff shipped to me and have paid tax to the courier when required, but I have not felt any need to tell the shipper about it.

There does seem to be a loophole that if you sell your own items to someone in the UK, not as a business, so you are not going to register for UKVAT, and the are under £135 value….

If the goods are marked as over £135 the odds are the recipient will pay VAT. Although the rule says the VAT is charged on the shipping too, I have not experienced this on my orders.

you're right, i could have asked that more clearly. I did not do that on purpose... :)

alphaburner

Jan 17, 2014
Cork, Ireland
In Ireland I’m getting hit for everything coming from the UK. Have it marked as a gift or a repair/return. Getting charged VAT on 2nd or 3rd hand items smarts a bit.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I (in the UK) received a knife from Spain and didn't pay any tax/customs duty. From what I have heard it can be a bit of a lottery. Also a lottery regarding whether a knife is seized for being illegal or whether the recipient gets a police visit even if the knife is legal.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
As others have stated, it is a lottery at the moment, customs are being mean to most people and had a challenge on a torch recently, that came from China.

I have once had a police warning for a knife purchase, but it was only because they randomly checked and had too give one as it was a knife.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
On a somewhat related thought, if I buy something in the UK to be shipped to me in the USA, do I have anything to worry about in terms of UK tax with all the Brexit and COVID impacts?

I am looking to buy a Lambsfoot that isn't legal for pocket carry in the UK due to being a ~91mm blade length. USA customs and import issues are not a concern right now.

Thanks,
Sid

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I have a couple of knives i'd like to send to the UK, but am worried that the receiver will have to pay customs/tax for them.
Is there anyone who has send a knife TO the UK in 2022, and if so, did the receiver have to pay customs/tax?
I got sent a gift (a pair of handknitted mittens) from Canada and since the Canadian Post Office had put the value to less than CAD100 by default. Since it was over £39, I got hit with VAT and the annoying paperwork fee. So if you send something to the UK, even as a gift, make sure to give the value as £35ish, or arrange for the recipient to be reimbursed. For values over £135 there's import duty as well.

Reactions: Great egret

Great egret

Apr 17, 2017
Netherlands
I got sent a gift (a pair of handknitted mittens) from Canada and since the Canadian Post Office had put the value to less than CAD100 by default. Since it was over £39, I got hit with VAT and the annoying paperwork fee. So if you send something to the UK, even as a gift, make sure to give the value as £35ish, or arrange for the recipient to be reimbursed. For values over £135 there's import duty as well.
I am in the Netherlands and travel to London by train for less then £100. It's cheaper and faster for me to travel to the UK pickup my knife and maybe post another in London.... i might setup a "postal service" ;)

• Haha
Reactions: sidpost

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE