Cultivating Hazel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on cultivating hazel? I tried planting some nuts last year (seemed like the obvious route!) but out of about 8 nuts I didn't get anything - would cuttings be a better option?

Thanks,

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
I've found the best way is to let the squirrels do all the hard work for you! Every spring I get young hazels appearing all over my garden from where they have been buried and then forgotten.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Rooted cuttings work, but so do budding shoots put into damp soil. If you want the nuts to sprout cover them in leaf litter or put them into the compost heap and leave undisturbed over winter.
I dumped a load of chesnuts the boys had gathered for chessies, but had left lying around until I was fed up looking at them, into my compost heap one autumn. Come springtime and when Gavin started to dig out the heap we found 137 chestnut seedlings growing merrily away :eek: :D
I confessed to my sons thieving ways to the local park rangers who were delighted to take the seedlings off my hands....seems they have problems germinating them....Strathclyde park now has them all over the place :D
A later attempt with acorns and hazelnuts, cherry pips and beechnuts all yielded viable seedlings,

Cheers,
Toddy

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Cultivating hazel - obviously not something one can do in an afternoon. Therefore if experimenting then do all the options and see what works. Options include:-

planting nuts that you kept indoors over winter
planting nuts before the winter (some seeds need to get wet and cold)
cuttings of twigs
cuttings of rooted twigs (from the edge of a clump)
layering ( bending a branch down to root before cutting off the big plant)

I cultivate elderberries. There are softwood cuttings and there are hardwood cuttings taken at different times of the year. I found that some individual plants are easy to root cuttings while others are near impossible.

Rooting hormone might help.

Ever thought of growing truffles with your hazel?

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Getting chestnuts to germinate is easy.

Get a box, half fill with leaf litter. Put in a layer of chestnuts, and fill with leat litter. Cover, and leave in thedark, and keep moist (but not wet, or you'll get a mushroomy smell). After a while, you'll get nive long shoots reaching up to try to find light, and nice long roots looking for soil and water. Keep the strongest and plant in soil.

This technique should work for hazels, beeches, hornbeams.

Hazel trees easily throw off side shoots, and so you might be able to get some of these to take as cuttings, like you can with (I think) sallow and willow. Dig a trench, about 8" deep and 8" wide, as long as you like, in the shade of a wall, and fill with sand. Stick hazel wands into the sand in late October or early November, and wait for springtime. You might end up with just sticks, but some should have taken root.

Keith.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Where is Jack when you need him ?
I'd bury the nuts and cross my fingers, and Planch/layer a hazel pole into the ground from the side of a hazel stool, leave it over winter to root (you cut a bit of bark off the underside befroe burrying it in the soil) then come back in the spring and cut it free from the main plant.
Cheers
Rich

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Just a tip - don't use beech leaves to germinate seeds in - they give off chemicals as they decompose that inhibits germination in most seeds except beeches - gives their own seeds a headstart on the forest floor :)

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Thanks for all the ideas - I'll put as many as possible into action the autumn and let you know how I get on. :)

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
match said:
Just a tip - don't use beech leaves to germinate seeds in - they give off chemicals as they decompose that inhibits germination in most seeds except beeches - gives their own seeds a headstart on the forest floor :)

That's very good information.

I usually use the juciest, biggest and most available (from our garden) leaves for germination; i.e. chestnut.

We have a hornbeam, too. I suppose its leaves would do the same trick as those of the beech?

Keith.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Hi guys.

Rovings idea of plashing will give you good results, planting nuts will of course work but it isn't a quick fix as you will have to wait 18 months for germination.

The squirrel will bury nust but he does more damage than he does good and he is one of the major threats to our ancient woodlands, why? because the squirrel will take every single nut from a coppice, not much harm in that, just the fact that he takes them in August when the hazels aren't ripe :eek: so it has a long term affect of making woodland sterile.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Jack said:
Hi guys.

Rovings idea of plashing will give you good results, planting nuts will of course work but it isn't a quick fix as you will have to wait 18 months for germination.

QUOTE]
D'you mean just hazel? I gathered the ones under the bushes and presumed they were fresh and they germinated fine.....well when I opened up the compost heap in Spring they were shooting out both ways :rolleyes: I can empathise with Modo in Pratchett over the compost heaps! :D

Cheers,
Toddy

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Hi Toddy.

That is fine and as you can see, it works. When a hazel falls from a tree it lays on the ground until something or someone buries it. Remember, nature doesn't plough. Once buried it then has to wait for the correct soil temperature, 6c and above to germinate, the shell has to soften and in a sense rot itself away from the seed to allow the cotyledon to push on through.

Nature is amazing, a Foxglove seed can stay dorment in the woodland soil for over an hundred years. We have cut coppice that was last felled during the war and the array of un seen before wild flowers was out of this world. So you never really now what you are walking on, just because you can't see wild flowers doesn't mean that they aren't there!

Best wishes.

Jack

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
For an absolutly spot on book recommendation on sustainable woodland management go with 'The Woodland way-a permaculture approach to sustainable woodland management' by Ben Law

Cant recommend it enough

Booosh

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE