Cross country skiing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
For a long time I've wanted to learn to cross country ski, I think reading Ranulph's books as a kid may be to blame.

Living in Kent, the opportunities to learn locally are not exactly thick on the ground, so I am going to have to save up to travel somewhere to learn. Given this is likely to take a while to save up for, it seems now is a good time to start planning it.

Can anyone recommend a course in cross country skiing? Ideally within 24 hours train journey from London, which pretty much covers Southern Norway, Southern Sweden, Germany, The Alps, even Northern Italy. Quality of teaching and instructor teacher ratio are important governing factors in choice here, more so than price.

Note, I have no experience of downhill skiing.

Any suggestions?

J

Last edited:

Rich D

Forager
Jan 2, 2014
Nottingham
Probably the wrong end of the season, but Snow Sport England have lot's of courses/events listed for roller skiing, which even the Olympians use when there's no snow about. Could be a good way to learn until the start of next snow season http://www.snowsportengland.org.uk/cross-country-events
I did a good circuit around Cauterets (French Pyrenees) on a "rest" day from climbing a few years back, good trails and cheaper than the alps, combined with a traditional French town and the trails around Pont d'Espagne are in a truly stunning setting. But I'm more into being lifted up mountains and skiing down them to be honest, so feel free to take my advice with a pinch of salt.
Rich

We have fantastic cross country skiing here a bit south of Munich...
(Google Jachenau)

Hop on the plane to Munich.... endless schools, rental and stunning landscapes...

If you like I can teach you... it's easy. (I can show you some bushcraft specific stuff too).

No cost for Bushcraft UK buddies. Just show up.

Hotels/guesthouse are cheap here too.

S

[video=youtube_share;PcGMu6BXHO4]http://youtu.be/PcGMu6BXHO4[/video]

Last edited:

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
If you're looking for a quality, experienced and highly qualified instructor for this, I can recommend Matt Larsson-Clifford. He's based in Sweden and hugely experienced in skiing, winter bushcraft and all manner of outdoorsy stuff. He was a RAF adventure training instructor, set up the RAF's Nordic Skiing expedition programme and still does a lot of similar work for the military, in the meantime setting up his own company, SWEDEN OUTDOORS.

I have about the same level of skiing skill and experience as you - none! - but really enjoyed the Nordic Skiing expedition to Swedish Jamtland I did when I was in the RAF, despite falling over a lot. Also, some friends and I went on a winter bushcraft trip with Matt in Sweden this last February which was well organised and so much fun (and they are not ex-military!) that we are getting Matt to plan a bespoke Nordic Skiing expedition for us for early 2015.

I have no business or commercial links with Matt, blah blah blah, so I'm just recommending him because I found him to be a good bloke, safe, sensible and a pleasure to be outdoors with. I'm sure he would give you a good experience. I've no idea what courses etc. he might have planned, but PM me if you want to get in touch with him and I'll give you his e-mail address; you can take it from there.

Cheers, TedW

If you're looking for a quality, experienced and highly qualified instructor for this, I can recommend Matt Larsson-Clifford. He's based in Sweden and hugely experienced in skiing, winter bushcraft and all manner of outdoorsy stuff. He was a RAF adventure training instructor, set up the RAF's Nordic Skiing expedition programme and still does a lot of similar work for the military, in the meantime setting up his own company, SWEDEN OUTDOORS.

I have about the same level of skiing skill and experience as you - none! - but really enjoyed the Nordic Skiing expedition to Swedish Jamtland I did when I was in the RAF, despite falling over a lot. Also, some friends and I went on a winter bushcraft trip with Matt in Sweden this last February which was well organised and so much fun (and they are not ex-military!) that we are getting Matt to plan a bespoke Nordic Skiing expedition for us for early 2015.

I have no business or commercial links with Matt, blah blah blah, so I'm just recommending him because I found him to be a good bloke, safe, sensible and a pleasure to be outdoors with. I'm sure he would give you a good experience. I've no idea what courses etc. he might have planned, but PM me if you want to get in touch with him and I'll give you his e-mail address; you can take it from there.

Cheers, TedW

Mmmm bespoke nordic skiing expedition. Yummy.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Looks very much like it, Susanne. Matt's willing to deliver just what we want; sadly, this might mean reducing the hardcore bush crafting to get the "significant others" alongside - strange how some people prefer huts to snow holes!

Looks very much like it, Susanne. Matt's willing to deliver just what we want; sadly, this might mean reducing the hardcore bush crafting to get the "significant others" alongside - strange how some people prefer huts to snow holes!

Huts.... ah well. Does mean lighter loads of course.

I very much like the Hilleberg tents for expeditions like this.

But yes...well...huts are faster from ski to warm and cozy bed too I guess. Longer hours for skiing....

And certainly nicer in a storm...

But if you would be inclined, keep me in touch about your plans. I am looking to do something big this coming winter... or several somethings.

(Training for Alaska...)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE