Chicken of the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
This is in no way meant to upset or point a finger at anybody, i just thought i would like to share it with you all.This is one of my old mans philosophies: Opinions are like ar*eholes everybody has one. :cool:

Again i reiterate this is not to flame or incite world war 3.

I think its very humbling, sobering and mabye puts things into perspective.
CHEERS
STUART F.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
greyowl22 said:
Sorry but everything I said was genuine, I was only putting across my opinion and I feel that there is alot of incorrect information on this site that I thought other people should be made aware of. I appologise if anyone has taken offence but I did think this was an OPEN forum.

Greyowl

Then thanks for your comments :biggthump the whole thing about the site is that no one professes to be an expert although some people do have a great deal of knowledge in different areas. We are all here as people interested in the great outdoors and anyone that contributes is welcome. The best thing for anyone to do that disagrees or has another opinion, is to share it and help everyone improve themselves.

You're obviously a knowledgeable person and I know I speak for everyone in saying that we appreciate any knowledge that is given freely to the rest of us, the whole thing is about sharing. If there are inaccuracies on the site then just point them out.

It's good to have you and I hope that along with the faults you have found you find some knowledge that is useful to you which makes the time spent here worth it.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Maybe this will help us to get back on topic. :wink:

chicken1.jpg

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Does anyone know if there are any indications for who might be allergic to it? or is it just the general allergics eg asthmatics, hayfever, peanut allergy sufferers ... redheads? :lol:

Any clues for the wary, Sargey?

Mar 2, 2004
is THAT what it looks like??? bizarre! like someone threw an omlette at a tree.think i,ll wait till i see someone else eating a bit first then wait 24 hours :shock:

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
Just thought I'd let everyone know that chicken of the woods is out again.

I know where some grows and have been meaning to try it for about two years now. Normally I forget and by the time I remember somebody has usually bashed it to a pulp :(

This year I remembered and managed to get there first :) . Tried it last night and its not too bad. Has the texture of chicken but doesn't particularly taste of much. Even my wife tried some and eat all that I gave her!

As for allergic reactions I only read this thread today :eek: We both had eaten quite a bit but I'm glad to report that there were no ill effects apart from a little dizziness - that may have something to do with the wine though ;)

C

CatFisH

good...dehydrated and used in soups...Wood Ear mushrooms
WoodEarR.jpg

better....Sulphur shelf...cousin to Chicken of the Woods
Laetiporussulphureus1.jpg

excellent...Chantrelles
Chanterelles3.jpg

absolutely the best...battered and fried serve on toast with mayo...Morels
handful.jpg

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
I find chicken in the woods useful as a stir fry ingredent when I'm doing one for a veggie, also just the fact of the quantity you can harvest makes it good as a bulker for foraged meals.

There is more to food than calories, otherwise we could all live on a diet of chips, porridge or bread, many fungi are useful sources of trace elements, plus they add texture, colour and flavours to meals.

This is the first time I've seen 'Jews ears' or 'Judas ears' listed as 'Wood Ears'. Is bushcraft going politically correct? or is this an old name for them in some places that I havn't encountered before? Are we going to see mention of 'heroism challenged in the wood fungi' or 'ethnic minority birds'?

C

CatFisH

my reference book (A Field Guide to Southern Mushrooms) on fungi refers to them as Wood Ears....this is the problem with using common names when refering to plants...the scientific classification is Auricularia auricula...the reference also states that it is common in many parts of the world...it must be the same as the Chinese Wood Ear availiable dried in many chinese markets

there isnt much flavor but it adds an interesting texture to casseroles and stir-frys

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
CatFisH

Well I live and learn, another name for the same thing so if I hear anyone using that name I'll know what they're on about. Hope you didn't think I was being funny with you just my Yorkshire humour coming out.

P.S. great pics

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
Thanks Wolfie. It's great to have some confirmation on that one. The "well I think it is, but you see I wouldn't like to say..." thing has been driving me mad for months.

Curiously, it was growing on the side of a tree (well duh :rolleyes: ) , at the edge of the main road leading into Cheltenham and not in a Woodland area at all. It lasted for ages, gradually fading from the brilliant yellow to a rather dull shade of grey.

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
FeralSheryl said:
Thanks Wolfie. It's great to have some confirmation on that one. The "well I think it is, but you see I wouldn't like to say..." thing has been driving me mad for months.

Curiously, it was growing on the side of a tree (well duh :rolleyes: ) , at the edge of the main road leading into Cheltenham and not in a Woodland area at all. It lasted for ages, gradually fading from the brilliant yellow to a rather dull shade of grey.

No problem FeralSheryl. Its always hard to get confirmation on fungi as a lot of them are really hard to identify and a lot of people don't want to put their necks on the block. I must admit that at first I was a bit hesitant about posting a reply confirming it.

As for where you saw it growing, it seems that they like to grow in places that are in full view to the public. The specimen that I know of grows on a tree right next to a busy car park on a nature reserve and yet it hardly ever gets picked. (Probably will do now though :rolleyes: )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE