Canoeing lessons?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Hello all, got interested in Canoeing today after seeing John's island campsite photos in the golite hex thread.

Does anyone have experience of training/courses in canoeing? I'd like to have a go, hire a canoe and do it safely, and am most interested in the Lakes District and perhaps Scotland.

Any personal experience of this? Recomendations?

Cheers!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
redcollective said:
Hello all, got interested in Canoeing today after seeing John's island campsite photos in the golite hex thread.

Does anyone have experience of training/courses in canoeing? I'd like to have a go, hire a canoe and do it safely, and am most interested in the Lakes District and perhaps Scotland.

Any personal experience of this? Recomendations?

Cheers!

Platyplus in the Lakes are good people, and not so far away from you as Scotland.
http://www.plattyplus.co.uk/#

Cheers,
Toddy

Aug 23, 2004
Bristol
Steve Smith teaches canoeing in the Lake District as part of Woodsmoke and ORCA (his own company). I did a course with him 2 years ago which was excellent.

John

Ed W

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2005
West Yorkshire
Have you tried plas-y-brenin? I was down in Llanberis two weeks ago and was thinking of going back down in october and doing a course. Do you know if they do the courses in october?

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
They don't appear to have any canoeing/kayaking courses in Octobler (other than a white water one!). I haven't tried them, but they have a good reputation and are well organised.

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Stu
If you want to have a go in a canoe (Coleman Journey) before you book a course you are welcome to have a go in mine.
I'm about 50 miles from you in Nth Lincs.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
John Seddon said:
Steve Smith teaches canoeing in the Lake District as part of Woodsmoke and ORCA (his own company). I did a course with him 2 years ago which was excellent.

John

I'd add my recommendation for Woodsmoke. They don't run many courses per year, but they are good, located in a lovely site with ample space/materials for a bit of bushcraft whilst there (which is part of the aim of the course)

NB, though, they no longer do BCU star assessments as standard, as they no longer strictly follow syllabus. Worked fine for me.

Jim.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE